The Student Room Group

is the chain rule allowed in differentiation?

If we hit a differentiation question in which the chain rule is easier, are we allowed to use it in the new AS maths Edexcel. Thanks
Original post by brownguytorule
If we hit a differentiation question in which the chain rule is easier, are we allowed to use it in the new AS maths Edexcel. Thanks

You shouldn't need to use it, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Can you post an example of a question like that?
as long as your working is clear you can use any method ( unless they specifically tell you to use one method ).
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
You shouldn't need to use it, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Can you post an example of a question like that?

y = 1/(x+1)
y = 1/(x+1)

Fair enough - if I saw that, I'd use chain rule myself.
Reply 5
y = 1/(x+1)

You wouldn't be asked to differentiate this in an AS maths exam. Did you come up with this or did you see this question somewhere?
y = 1/(x+1)

What method were they expecting you to use? Assuming you saw this in an AS lesson.
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
You wouldn't be asked to differentiate this in an AS maths exam. Did you come up with this or did you see this question somewhere?

our teacher randomly mentioned this in class but asked us how we would differentiate such an equation if we got it given.
our teacher randomly mentioned this in class but asked us how we would differentiate such an equation if we got it given.

I'd imagine most students would just differentiate with respect to x+1, which would actually produce the right answer here because x+1 just differentiates to 1. A question will not demand the use of the chain rule, but I don't see any reason not to use it if you think it'll work out better. (which I again doubt) Probably just trying to get you thinking.
Reply 9
That is a good point _gcx.

The only other way is to use first pricipals where the derivative is defined as:

limh0(f(x+h)f(x))h, \displaystyle \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ (f(x+h) - f(x)) } {h},

if the limit exists.

For our expression f(x) = 1 / (x+1):

f(x)=limh0(1(x+h)+11x+1)h, \displaystyle f^{'} (x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ \left( \frac{1}{(x+h)+1} - \frac{1}{x+1} \right) }{h},

=limh01((x+h)+1)(x+1), \displaystyle = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{-1}{ ((x+h)+1)(x+1) },

=1(x+1)2. \displaystyle = \frac{-1}{(x+1)^{2}}.

However, the AS-Level specification (for Edexcel, page 17) states: "Differentiation from first priciples for small positive integer powers of x".
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest