The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh so that's why dermatology is so competitive lol.....
Yeah, even palliative care has gone down the route of being part of the gen med rota now.. though am I right in thinking that for both palliative and rheumatology, you only do it in ST4 rather than throughout your registrar training? I seem to remember being told something weird like that.

Other half is going down the ACCS route into neuro instead of CMT. :wink: I didn't even realise you could do it that way until he mentioned it, but it is an option for now at least!
Interesting, thank you!!... so basically if you wanna go into one of the competitive ones - must do intercalated, publications, audits etc right?
Yeah, he'd rather take the extra year. :lol: Neither of us is in any real hurry to complete training as soon as possible or anything. And there's no denying that most of the CMTs we know are miserable with their training, while the ACCS trainees are a much happier bunch on the whole.

CMT isn't compulsory at the moment (at least, not as far as the consultants he's spoken to have told him) but you're right about MRCP - he's sitting Part 1 in January. :smile:
I see, all this is very interesting... yeah I'm thinking of getting this stuff done ASAP. I'm only a first year though and it's hard to commit to one already. Can I pm you about which area you are in please? Thanks for the link also!!
Original post by *pitseleh*
Yep. I don't want to bash surgical specialties at all, but I've been in the situation (more than once!) where a patient has suggested that surgery is something you progress to after being a physician, as though most doctors either qualify as a consultant medic and then do extra training to become a surgeon, or they 'just' stay as a medic. No idea where that idea comes from.

I'm not sure but I'm gonna guess it beings with S and ends in 'urgeons'.

I've heard something similar suggested about GPs as well - that they're doctors who stopped their training before they became consultants.

That is true in some other countries, so many that's why?
Original post by nexttime
I'm not sure but I'm gonna guess it beings with S and ends in 'urgeons'.

That is true in some other countries, so many that's why?

Heh. Running their own little propaganda mill. The fiends.

I didn't realise that's how GP worked elsewhere. That could explain a lot.

Thanks! And yeah - you never know.. he does love emergency medicine too. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending