The Student Room Group

Chemistry IA for IB need help for the research question.

Hi everyone,

So, I'm a bit lost with the chemistry IA and I was thinking about doing it on acids and bases.
Something along the lines of "To what extent does different pH levels affect the decomposition of CaCo3"

Basically, I was going to take different solutions with different pH and put pieces of limestones in each, wait a few days and weigh the pieces again to see if any decomposition occured.
Firstly, do you think it is a good idea to use this as an experiment for my IA.
Secondly, if it is a good idea, how would you go about getting different pH solutions?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!
Original post by glaff
Hi everyone,

So, I'm a bit lost with the chemistry IA and I was thinking about doing it on acids and bases.
Something along the lines of "To what extent does different pH levels affect the decomposition of CaCo3"

Basically, I was going to take different solutions with different pH and put pieces of limestones in each, wait a few days and weigh the pieces again to see if any decomposition occured.
Secondly, if it is a good idea, how would you go about getting different pH solutions?

Hi,

I did something similar for my biology IA last year, but I bit off more than I can chew with that one (Your idea is simpler, I tried to go big, and I went home :lol:)

Honestly, it is not a bad idea. However, your range of pHs and the purpose of the experiment needs to be clearly defined.

If your school has pH buffers or you can get them, you can make your solutions from that. Or you can dilute a strong acid/base to get your desired solutions.

Good luck, any questions just ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Great thanks.
Range of pH from 3 to 11 sounds good?
For the purpose I will just say that I am very attached to the ocean ( I do a lot of sailing and diving ..) and that I wanted to see with my own eyes what kind of effect different pH would have on corals.
Tell me what you think.

I will now do calculations for my different solutions and see what I come up with.

again, thank you!
Reply 3
can you help me as well
Original post by wolfmoon88
Hi,

vcHonestly, it is not a bad idea. However, your range of pHs and the purpose of the experiment needs to be clearly defined.

If your school has pH buffers or you can get them, you can make your solutions from that. Or you can dilute a strong acid/base to get your desired solutions.

Good luck, any questions just ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by glaff
Hi everyone,

Hi! Did you end up doing this IA? If so, could you tell me what grade/score you got? I was thinking of doing something similar and don't know if it's good enough
Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest