The Student Room Group

IB

Hi, I'm starting the IB in Sept and was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat and any advice from people who have done it? Just from browsing there doesn't seem to be that many resources (for anything!) so recommendations regarding that would be fab! I'm super excited though :smile:
Hi! Tips from someone who has rather a lot of experience as an IB student... :s-smilie:
Choose subjects that you are good at and interested in. Be prepared for a lot of work so don't leave it until the last minute. IAs, EE, CAS, TOK abbreviations might be confusing at first but you'll soon get used to them. What subjects are you studying? This was very brief but I can try to answer specific questions :smile:
Reply 2
I'm planning on Bio, Chem, Maths AA HL then Eng Lit, French and History/Psych SL (still need to decide). In terms of the science courses, is using A-Level resources a sensible idea in terms of similarity in the specs? Also, could you please explain a little bit more about the TOK exhibition etc because I'm a little confused by it? Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by lau321
I'm planning on Bio, Chem, Maths AA HL then Eng Lit, French and History/Psych SL (still need to decide). In terms of the science courses, is using A-Level resources a sensible idea in terms of similarity in the specs? Also, could you please explain a little bit more about the TOK exhibition etc because I'm a little confused by it? Thanks so much :smile:

I can only speak for bio in terms of science but use the IB textbooks - the Biology A-level course is different, I think.
The TOK exhibition is one of the two TOK assessments where you have to choose 3 objects to respond to a particular question (given, your teacher will help) and write a 900 word essay.

I do History and it's very interesting but very content heavy, as well as Biology (I don't have personal experience with the rest, although I have heard things) but if you are interested in your subjects it should be ok. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lau321

I did HL Chem and HL Bio. I was diligent and covered my IB textbooks. There are IB study companions which you can get as well. My school provided them (they were costed in my school fees!) Both subjects are very content-heavy but totally doable if you start right, and make topical notes as you go along. It would be impossible to defer till near exams to make notes. Some say that they can learn using other people's notes. If you are one of them, then maybe you don't have to make them yourself. I didn't use Bio Ninja but some of my friends did. A must-do is past paper questions, only then can you fully appreciate what the IB wants. It's almost certain that you won't get the requirements right at the start but you would want to figure that out by the 2nd topical test for each subject. Go through the mark schemes and rubric and become clear in the various requirements. There is actually less mystique about how to score well.

My 3rd HL was Psych. Google for Thematic Education. Travis Dixon is an IB Psych GOD. You can nail all your Psych course requirements reading his website, and I would also encourage you to get his Revision Guides. He gives the best tips on course, study and exam techniques too.

English Lit - Check out the English Guys!
Reply 5
Thanks, it's really helpful to hear your experiences :smile:
Original post by iL1L
I can only speak for bio in terms of science but use the IB textbooks - the Biology A-level course is different, I think.
The TOK exhibition is one of the two TOK assessments where you have to choose 3 objects to respond to a particular question (given, your teacher will help) and write a 900 word essay.

I do History and it's very interesting but very content heavy, as well as Biology (I don't have personal experience with the rest, although I have heard things) but if you are interested in your subjects it should be ok. :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks, will definitely check these resources out :smile:

Original post by BubblesBB
I did HL Chem and HL Bio. I was diligent and covered my IB textbooks. There are IB study companions which you can get as well. My school provided them (they were costed in my school fees!) Both subjects are very content-heavy but totally doable if you start right, and make topical notes as you go along. It would be impossible to defer till near exams to make notes. Some say that they can learn using other people's notes. If you are one of them, then maybe you don't have to make them yourself. I didn't use Bio Ninja but some of my friends did. A must-do is past paper questions, only then can you fully appreciate what the IB wants. It's almost certain that you won't get the requirements right at the start but you would want to figure that out by the 2nd topical test for each subject. Go through the mark schemes and rubric and become clear in the various requirements. There is actually less mystique about how to score well.

My 3rd HL was Psych. Google for Thematic Education. Travis Dixon is an IB Psych GOD. You can nail all your Psych course requirements reading his website, and I would also encourage you to get his Revision Guides. He gives the best tips on course, study and exam techniques too.

English Lit - Check out the English Guys!
Reply 7
Original post by lau321
Hi, I'm starting the IB in Sept and was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat and any advice from people who have done it? Just from browsing there doesn't seem to be that many resources (for anything!) so recommendations regarding that would be fab! I'm super excited though :smile:

Hi there! First of all, I want to say good luck on your journey, It's not easy but if you stay consistent with your work I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Honestly, biology and chemistry will be just fine as long as you don't leave the revision till the end, as they can both be quite content-heavy, it's better to spread revision out so you can cover it all. As for classes, stay focused and try to ask as many questions as possible, as staying engaged will be incredibly beneficial to learning both subjects.
For psychology I made a quizlet for my final exams, I know it won't be too helpful at this stage but if you'd like to save and come back to it during mocks/ exams it might be a helpful tool, I hope it can help
The link is https://quizlet.com/797234951/ib-psychology-may-2023-flash-cards/?i=3cnygs&x=1jqt

I took HL bio, chem, and psych, SL math, English, and French, so if you have any questions about any subjects in particular, feel free to ask!
Reply 8
Original post by user23184
Hi there! First of all, I want to say good luck on your journey, It's not easy but if you stay consistent with your work I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Honestly, biology and chemistry will be just fine as long as you don't leave the revision till the end, as they can both be quite content-heavy, it's better to spread revision out so you can cover it all. As for classes, stay focused and try to ask as many questions as possible, as staying engaged will be incredibly beneficial to learning both subjects.
For psychology I made a quizlet for my final exams, I know it won't be too helpful at this stage but if you'd like to save and come back to it during mocks/ exams it might be a helpful tool, I hope it can help
The link is https://quizlet.com/797234951/ib-psychology-may-2023-flash-cards/?i=3cnygs&x=1jqt

I took HL bio, chem, and psych, SL math, English, and French, so if you have any questions about any subjects in particular, feel free to ask!

That's all useful to know thank you! I'm definitely excited for college to start :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending