The Student Room Group

Further Maths

I've told my teacher I want to do further maths for the upcoming GCSEs, however, I am not familiar with pretty much all of the subjects. Will this be an issue? I am also doing triple science and computing which means it will be even more stressful but I really want to do it. I just want some opinions as to what you guys think I should do. I'm fairly good at maths, I get around 7-8s in practice papers with maybe a 6 sometimes. Will this be a problem or should I focus on my normal GCSEs? Thanks in advance.
Don't do further maths if you can't get a 9 at GCSE. You'll probably cope with further maths if you're getting 8s but it would make more sense to put the extra time into getting a 9 at GCSE. Getting a 9 at GCSE would be more impressive.
Reply 2
Original post by JammieDodger27
Don't do further maths if you can't get a 9 at GCSE. You'll probably cope with further maths if you're getting 8s but it would make more sense to put the extra time into getting a 9 at GCSE. Getting a 9 at GCSE would be more impressive.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Also, what is the difference between a level further maths and gcse further maths? If i do further maths gcse, how will it affect me if i would like to do a level further maths? Sorry for the amount of questions, but thanks in advance.
Original post by Sogstar
Yeah, I guess you're right. Also, what is the difference between a level further maths and gcse further maths? If i do further maths gcse, how will it affect me if i would like to do a level further maths? Sorry for the amount of questions, but thanks in advance.

You don't need further maths gcse to do further maths a-level but you'll probably require a 8/9 at GCSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sogstar

Just to be clear, you don't do A-level Further Maths instead of Maths, you do them together.

You don't need to do it at GCSE to do FM at A-level. But you probably do need at least a 7 in GCSE Maths to consider doing both Maths and FM at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by JammieDodger27
Yeah, gonna struggle to answer that first one without laughing.

You don't need further maths gcse to do further maths a-level but you'll probably require a 8/9 at GCSE.

Think you've misunderstood my question.
Let me rephrase to make it a little bit clearer: What is the difference between A Level further maths (ones you do in sixth form etc) and GCSE further maths? Are they pretty much the same thing or ...?
Sorry if i'm still saying something wrong (would be really embarrassing if i am lol)
Reply 6
Original post by Sogstar
Think you've misunderstood my question.
Let me rephrase to make it a little bit clearer: What is the difference between A Level further maths (ones you do in sixth form etc) and GCSE further maths? Are they pretty much the same thing or ...?
Sorry if i'm still saying something wrong (would be really embarrassing if i am lol)

It's significantly different.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/further-mathematics-6360

In the same way that A-level Maths is very different to GCSE Maths.
Original post by Sogstar

A Level Further Maths is taken alongside A Level Maths (So you do 2 maths A-Levels). It is recommended for maths, physics and engineering etc (especially if you want to study at top universities).

GCSE Further Maths is essentially a tiny amount of A-Level Maths that you can take alongside GCSE Maths. Not really relevant for university or anything else. It can be a useful introduction for A-Level Maths but is nowhere near as important as normal GCSE Maths.
Original post by Doonesbury
Just to be clear, you don't do A-level Further Maths instead of Maths, you do them together.

You don't need to do it at GCSE to do FM at A-level. But you probably do need at least a 7 in GCSE Maths to consider doing both Maths and FM at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I'm a private candidate (pretty much all schools in my country suck and all good teachers only teach privately) and I'd like to take Further Maths at A level alongside Physics and Maths. How should I go about taking Further Maths; should I complete Maths first then start with Further Maths or should I be following a certain plan or structure? Also, are these 3 subjects sufficient for an Engineering undergraduate course in the U.K or should I try take A level Chemistry alongside them?
Reply 9
Original post by KnowledgeSeeker_
Well, I'm a private candidate (pretty much all schools in my country suck and all good teachers only teach privately) and I'd like to take Further Maths at A level alongside Physics and Maths. How should I go about taking Further Maths; should I complete Maths first then start with Further Maths or should I be following a certain plan or structure? Also, are these 3 subjects sufficient for an Engineering undergraduate course in the U.K or should I try take A level Chemistry alongside them?

You should really start you own thread for this question :smile:

Anyway, yes those A-levels are typical for Engineering applicants.

Prior to the new specification for Maths coming into effect you could either do Maths & FM side-by-side, or one after the other. It didn't much matter. I don't know if the new spec changes that. Personally I'd suggest doing them side-by-side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury

Prior to the new specification for Maths coming into effect you could either do Maths & FM side-by-side, or one after the other. It didn't much matter. I don't know if the new spec changes that. Personally I'd suggest doing them side-by-side.

The new spec is also designed so that maths and further maths can be taught in parallel. But with the linear spec it now means that a student will need to revise the whole of maths and further maths at the end of the second year. This doesn't sound appealing to me but I'm just more used to consecutive delivery.
Reply 11
Original post by Notnek
The new spec is also designed so that maths and further maths can be taught in parallel. But with the linear spec it now means that a student will need to revise the whole of maths and further maths at the end of the second year. This doesn't sound appealing to me but I'm just more used to consecutive delivery.

Good point. :smile:
Original post by Sogstar
I've told my teacher I want to do further maths for the upcoming GCSEs, however, I am not familiar with pretty much all of the subjects. Will this be an issue? I am also doing triple science and computing which means it will be even more stressful but I really want to do it. I just want some opinions as to what you guys think I should do. I'm fairly good at maths, I get around 7-8s in practice papers with maybe a 6 sometimes. Will this be a problem or should I focus on my normal GCSEs? Thanks in advance.

For whatever reason GCSE Further Maths has a reputation as being only accessible to the very best mathematicians. I have to disagree. I think Further Maths is very accessible to someone of your ability and it is extremely useful if you plan to do A-Level Maths.

I'm a tad baffled as to why people are telling you not to do this as, IMO you seem like an ideal candidate for it.
Original post by Sogstar

Focus on getting a grade 9 in your GCSE - it's not worth taking F Maths GCSE and it's not related to A level FM.

[I teach Maths]

Quick Reply

Latest