The Student Room Group

M2 help pls

687F86E1-E4C5-4480-BC30-116B19021C36.jpg.jpegB52CB7E7-6C10-4962-8887-4D0AC152E393.jpg.jpeg
Part a answer is 3cm. Can anyone help with part b? Thanks a lot. I’ve worked out the distance from G to DC

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sherryew

Part a answer is 3cm. Can anyone help with part b? Thanks a lot. I’ve worked out the distance from G to DC

Can you please post what you've done so far? You should have a diagram showing where the centre of mass must be if AB is inclined at 25 degrees. Let us know if you don't understand this part.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Can you please post what you've done so far? You should have a diagram showing where the centre of mass must be if AB is inclined at 25 degrees. Let us know if you don't understand this part.

What I get is the center of mass(G) from AB=3cm, and tan25=3/AN, therefore DN(Distance from G to DC)=6-3/tan25. And then I’m stuck
Reply 3
What I get is the center of mass(G) from AB=3cm, and tan25=3/AN, therefore DN(Distance from G to DC)=6-3/tan25. And then I’m stuck

What is N? I can't see it mentioned in the question. Do you have a diagram?

Forgive me for barging in, @Notnek , took me quite a while to edit this image and I just refreshed the page to see you've contributed awhile ago.

m2.jpg

@Sherryew If you look at the diagram I have edited, this is how it would look like after the lamina has been suspended from AA. All you do is rotate the image and align the Centre of Mass with the suspended point.

3tan(25)\frac{3}{\tan(25)} will give you the distance of AK{AK} from my diagram but you want the distance from the DCDC plane to point OO.

Think again, why is 63tan(25)6-\frac{3}{\tan(25)} wrong?
let F be the foot of the perpendicular from G to line AB.

the distance GF = 3

angle FAG = 25°

distance DA = 6

triangle AFG is right angled.

you need distance DF.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ManLike007
Forgive me for barging in, @Notnek , took me quite a while to edit this image and I just refreshed the page to see you've contributed awhile ago.

m2.jpg

@Sherryew If you look at the diagram I have edited, this is how it would look like after the lamina has been suspended from AA. All you do is rotate the image and align the Centre of Mass with the suspended point.

3tan(25)\frac{3}{\tan(25)} will give you the distance of AK{AK} from my diagram but you want the distance from the DCDC plane to point OO.

Think again, why is 63tan(25)6-\frac{3}{\tan(25)} wrong?

omg just realise that I made a silly mistake:// What I get is DK=3/tan25 -6. But I don’t know how to find distance of O from DC
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
let F be the foot of the perpendicular from O to line AB.

the distance OF = 3

angle FAO = 25°

distance DA = 6

triangle AFO is right angled.

you need distance DF.

Nah. Angle GAD=25, not FAO, and FO=2
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek
What is N? I can't see it mentioned in the question. Do you have a diagram?

Could you pls have a look at the diagram below by@ManLike007? N is the point K in his diagram
Nah. Angle GAD=25, not FAO, and FO=2

i meant G, not O...

:colondollar:
Reply 10
Could you pls have a look at the diagram below by@ManLike007? N is the point K in his diagram

I don't know what you've tried but at some point you need to take moments in the y direction (looking at the original diagram).

So i.e. in part a) you took moments about AB. Go back to this original diagram and try taking moments about the horizontal that includes B. Remember that you now know this yˉ\bar{y} from your working in b).
Reply 11
These international papers have some tough questions. The 2013 (R) had an even harder COM question than this one (question 6)
Reply 12
There will be different approaches to this question so @ManLike007 please share what you did (with a hint) if it's different to the hint I gave above.
Reply 13
Original post by Notnek
I don't know what you've tried but at some point you need to take moments in the y direction (looking at the original diagram).

So i.e. in part a) you took moments about AB. Go back to this original diagram and try taking moments about the horizontal that includes B. Remember that you now know this yˉ\bar{y} from your working in b).

Ill try then
Reply 14
Original post by Notnek
These international papers have some tough questions. The 2013 (R) had an even harder COM question than this one (question 6)

But unfortunately I’ve done that one correctly but couldn’t solve this one😭😭
Reply 15
But unfortunately I’ve done that one correctly but couldn’t solve this one😭😭

Maybe this one is harder then :smile: The folded lamina was very unusual which is why I thought it was harder plus the working isn't easy either.
Reply 16
Original post by Notnek
Maybe this one is harder then :smile: The folded lamina was very unusual which is why I thought it was harder plus the working isn't easy either.

Sorry but I don’t know how to find the distance of O to the horizontal that includes B.
Reply 17
Sorry but I don’t know how to find the distance of O to the horizontal that includes B.

Actually it's probably simpler to take moments from DC : Call ysˉ\bar{y_s} the y distance of the square's centre of mass from DC and call ylˉ\bar{y_l} the y distance of the lamina's centre of mass from DC.

48×016×ysˉ=32ylˉ48 \times 0 - 16\times \bar{y_s} = 32\bar{y_l}

You've already done the working in b) to find yly_l so you can find ysy_s which is the answer to the question.

It's late so I hope I'm not overcomplicating this or making mistakes...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek

Also came up in this year's M2 paper back in June, oh boy was I in for a treat when I thought it wouldn't come up.
Reply 19
Original post by ManLike007
Also came up in this year's M2 paper back in June, oh boy was I in for a treat when I thought it wouldn't come up.

I was also surprised to see it because I thought folded laminas were only a special treat for international students :smile: They're not bad once you've done one but I remember struggling with it the first time I looked - trying to consider the folded section separately with double the mass is a bad idea.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest