The Student Room Group

Should we be promoting women in STEM??

So I keep seeing advertisements for women in STEM and the associated promotional material. My question mainly lies around the issue of anyone at all in STEM the field itself is undersubscribed with regards to those remaining in it post education so do we really require a gender specific promotion for this topic? Should we be driving a gender neutral campaign or is the issue deeper than this such as promoting women because of feminism and equality issues in recent years?

Surely if someone wants to remain in the STEM stream they will, regardless of gender?
Original post by Daveboi115
So I keep seeing advertisements for women in STEM and the associated promotional material. My question mainly lies around the issue of anyone at all in STEM the field itself is undersubscribed with regards to those remaining in it post education so do we really require a gender specific promotion for this topic? Should we be driving a gender neutral campaign or is the issue deeper than this such as promoting women because of feminism and equality issues in recent years?

Surely if someone wants to remain in the STEM stream they will, regardless of gender?

Yes. I dont have a problem with encouraging women to consider stem subjects. We need more and a disproportionately low number of women consider it as an option.

There are already gender neutral campaigns to encourage people into stem, but to the extent they have worked, then it is much less so for women as the take up rates are low.

I have zero problems with it.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Yes. I dont have a problem with encouraging women to consider stem subjects. We need more and a disproportionately low number of women consider it as an option.

There are already gender neutral campaigns to encourage people into stem, but to the extent they have worked, then it is much less so for women as the take up rates are low.

I agree with you on whole. I don't see it as an issue or problem I just wonder why there is a requirement for gender based campaigning. What does it matter whether we have men and women or just one or the other or an uneven percentage of either within any given profession? Personally as I really couldn't care less about who I'm working with as long as they know what they are doing and can do the job properly!

Perhaps its an issue of personality and women bring something to the table that us men can't?
Why does it matter whether men or women go into STEM? Both have just as much potential.

This kind of campaigning won't help. Once you start college/sixth-form, if you haven't picked the right A-levels, STEM is basically out of the question. The gender stereotypes (such as those on toys) start far younger than that. Fix the underlying cause, not the eventual effect.
I agree with you on whole. I don't see it as an issue or problem I just wonder why there is a requirement for gender based campaigning. What does it matter whether we have men and women or just one or the other or an uneven percentage of either within any given profession? Personally as I really couldn't care less about who I'm working with as long as they know what they are doing and can do the job properly!

Perhaps its an issue of personality and women bring something to the table that us men can't?

Because of the very low participation rates by women. There is nothing wrong to encourage them thinking of stem as a career. Some of those barriers are particular to women. Targeting your efforts will be more effective.

Melons.

The idea behind the campaigns is, that the society discourages women from pursuing STEP careers so the campaigns must encourage particularly women.

Original post by TheMindGarage

The gender stereotypes (such as those on toys) start far younger than that. Fix the underlying cause, not the eventual effect.

The problem is how are you going to do it.
The tendency you're speaking about is extremely old, you won't be able to change it completely in a decade or two.
I agree, however it would excellent if children had as many occasions to develop their interests and talents as possible. The question remains however, is this even possible? Some talents will always be lost, and some schools can't even give their students the basic education they were supposed to give.

Why do we need more women in STEM?

Because a lot of women still feel that STEM is very male-dominated, and we should tell girls that it's alright to go into STEM if they wish. Only 1/4 STEM workers are female, and that should change in my opinion.

I was watching a documentary recently as well, about how the toys children plays with influences their careers. Because boys played with things like trucks and building blocks, they developed the minds to naturally go into STEM, unlike girls. So yes it should be promoted to get girls to think about going into the profession.
Original post by limetang
Why do we need more women in STEM?

Because theres a shortage of suitably qualified STEM graduates.
Participation by women is very low and represents an opportunity to make better use of available talent.
Do you think its only for men?
Would you rather we had a continuing stem shortage and recruited from abroad?
Because theres a shortage of suitably qualified STEM graduates.
Participation by women is very low and represents an opportunity to make better use of available talent.
Do you think its only for men?
Would you rather we had a continuing stem shortage and recruited from abroad?

STEM shortage needs to be filled by people, doesn’t matter if they’re male or female
Original post by limetang
STEM shortage needs to be filled by people, doesn’t matter if they’re male or female

It matters if we have a shortage an we arent using all available talent.
If there is a lack of participation by women because they think its only for men, then its a good thing to encourage them to take advantage of available talent. Only an idiot wouldn't use that resource.
Women can go into stem if they so wish, there's nothing stopping that.

Look at say the social sciences, there's disproportionately more women, not because of any bias against men. That's just how it is, that's what those people have chosen themselves to study. I say promote STEM to everyone equally
Original post by AstroNandos
Women can go into stem if they so wish, there's nothing stopping that.

Look at say the social sciences, there's disproportionately more women, not because of any bias against men. That's just how it is, that's what those people have chosen themselves to study. I say promote STEM to everyone equally

I agree with this point wholeheartedly. We should be focusing on promotion of the STEM subjects in general. Anybody can apply and everyone... key word, everyone... should be equally as encouraged. The talent pool should be devoid of gender or any other irrelevant statistic and those with the greatest defining criteria applicable to ability to carry out the job and project well into the future should be selected!
I agree with this point wholeheartedly. We should be focusing on promotion of the STEM subjects in general. Anybody can apply and everyone... key word, everyone... should be equally as encouraged. The talent pool should be devoid of gender or any other irrelevant statistic and those with the greatest defining criteria applicable to ability to carry out the job and project well into the future should be selected!

They do promote stem subjects in general though.
Boys dont need the same level of encouragement because they already apply.
Girls for some reason do not consider it as a viable option. theres no harm and a lot of benefit encouraging them to consider the opportunities stem provides. No need to feel so threatened just because a few mmore women have decided to do stem instead of English.
Reply 15
I think its good to promote women in stem because of the gender split in the subject, but I hope we are promoting men in more female dominated industries also. However I also think that promoting it can only do so much, at the end of the day its an individual's choice of what they want to do and its pretty obvious more women gravitate towards humanities and arts more and no amount of promoting gender diversity will change that
Reply 16
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I was watching a documentary recently as well, about how the toys children plays with influences their careers. Because boys played with things like trucks and building blocks, they developed the minds to naturally go into STEM, unlike girls. So yes it should be promoted to get girls to think about going into the profession.

Weird I read something contradictory in that males have a biological predisposition to certain toys. Here is a lil quote:

"When offered the choice of playing with either a doll or a toy truck, girls will typically pick the doll and boys will opt for the truck. This isn’t just because society encourages girls to be nurturing and boys to be active, as people once thought. In experiments, male adolescent monkeys also prefer to play with wheeled vehicles while the females prefer dolls and their societies say nothing on the matter."

"The monkey research, conducted with two different species in 2002 and 2008, strongly suggested a biological explanation for children’s toy preferences."

So maybe girls just don't care about STEM fields as much as boys.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Froppy
Weird I read something contradictory in that males have a biological predisposition to certain toys. Here is a lil quote:

"When offered the choice of playing with either a doll or a toy truck, girls will typically pick the doll and boys will opt for the truck. This isn’t just because society encourages girls to be nurturing and boys to be active, as people once thought. In experiments, male adolescent monkeys also prefer to play with wheeled vehicles while the females prefer dolls and their societies say nothing on the matter."

"The monkey research, conducted with two different species in 2002 and 2008, strongly suggested a biological explanation for children’s toy preferences."

So maybe girls just don't care about STEM fields as much as boys.

That's interesting actually. I think the point is still the same though that because of the nature of the toys that boys play with, it means they're more likely to go into STEM.

Perhaps girls aren't as interested. But surely we should be promoting then, to get girls more interested?
I do not mind encouraging females to pursue a career in STEM fields but do not do it the way those pesky feminists do it and blame the males for it. Women are less likely to be interested in STEM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending