The Student Room Group

Why is my sister so selfish?

Im 28(f) .. Sister is 26(f).

We both live at home with our mother and I make a significant contribution to the household bills and grocery shop. My sister is a medical school student but is also working fulltime in a psychiatric ward as a PA. She earns good money.

As mentioned before, I do the food shop 90% of the time and she struggles to make a contribution. I even pay for my mother's holiday and most of the holiday to Santorini for my sister last year for her birthday.

Last night, she raged at me for eating an Apple that she purchased through an M&S voucher that was given to her. But.. I did a whole weekly shop at M&S for the whole family and everything I buy - she finished it.
She raged at me calling me names and swearing profusely, shouting down the house because of this.

My mother tried to reason with her but she would not stop raging. I don't understand this irrational behaviour and where it stems from. It had greatly destroyed the relationship I thought I had with her cos I look after these women. Wholeheartedly. But its not being reciprocated.

Could someone please help me understand.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1

We both live at home with our mother and I make a significant contribution to the household bills and grocery shop. My sister is a medical school student but is also working fulltime in a psychiatric ward as a PA. She earns good money.

As mentioned before, I do the food shop 90% of the time and she struggles to make a contribution. I even pay for my mother's holiday and most of the holiday to Santorini for my sister last year for her birthday.

Last night, she raged at me for eating an Apple that she purchased through an M&S voucher that was given to her. But.. I did a whole weekly shop at M&S for the whole family and everything I buy - she finished it.
She raged at me calling me names and swearing profusely, shouting down the house because of this.

My mother tried to reason with her but she would not stop raging. I don't understand this irrational behaviour and where it stems from. It had greatly destroyed the relationship I thought I had with her cos I look after these women. Wholeheartedly. But its not being reciprocated.

Thanks

I may not have all the answers, but I can relate to your situation. I have an elder sister, and during stressful times like when I was preparing for intense exams, I found myself lashing out at her. Despite my intentions, she handled me with care, asking about my problems and understanding my frustrations. It led to a breakthrough in our relationship. Perhaps your sister's behavior stems from stress or pressure she's facing. Approaching her with empathy and understanding might help uncover the root cause and improve your relationship.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Thanks
sorry to hear this, she sounds very immature - would be worth buying food for the rest of the family except her - a basic apple is nothing compared to the expenses you pay and until she learns how to be grateful - she can sort her own food stuff out and holiday things; behaviour like that is disgusting. She should apologise for speaking to you like that and should learn how to show some basic respect for her family members

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending