The Student Room Group

Rail fare rises by av 3.4%

Commuters have been subjected to the biggest fare rise in 5 years, with the average rail ticket rising by 3.4%. Many passengers have seen their season ticket increase by more than £100, leaving many feeling they have been "priced off" UK railways.

Read the fully story here.

What do you make of this? Have you been affected by this? Do you think it's fare? Should it have been expected?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Daylight robbery.
Absolute robbery, yet the service is getting worse.
Original post by Danny Dorito
Commuters have been subjected to the biggest fare rise in 5 years, with the average rail ticket rising by 3.4%. Many passengers have seen their season ticket increase by more than £100, leaving many feeling they have been "priced off" UK railways.

What do you make of this? Have you been affected by this? Do you think it's fare? Should it have been expected?

Goes up every bloody year. I took the train every weekday for two years, for 4 stops and the price was extortionate, and the service was constantly ram-packed and late.

Then again, the railway can be decent value for intercity journeys if you book well in advance. For example, my recent journey from Edinburgh to King's Cross only cost me £29. If I drove, the fuel would have cost more, let alone the wear it would put on a car. Then again, I did book about two months in advance.

tl;dr: commuters and those who need to travel by rail short-notice get a ****ing **** deal.
Reply 4

Someone else posted that its cheaper to rent a car now than to go on public transport. What a shamble
(edited 6 years ago)
Where is this money going to go? Is the South West actually going to get an improved railway so we don't get a repeat of 2014?

Cry me a river train fares should be 30% higher as that is what the government subsidises a ticket by.

Then you have the flip side in car drivers who pay many times more in car taxes than is spent on car related infrastructure.
Original post by paul514
Cry me a river train fares should be 30% higher as that is what the government subsidises a ticket by.

How can you justify that? They're expensive enough already. And that's even with a railcard.
will this mean there will be no more southern rail strikes
no so where is the money going too other than repairing tracks and train signals? :curious:
Original post by Tiger Rag
How can you justify that? They're expensive enough already. And that's even with a railcard.

Because it’s the true cost, car drivers get raped with tax and put far more into the coffers than is spent on car related government spending.

Every other form of transport is subsidised.

So when I hear someone say my rail card is 3 grand this year I think to myself where’s my 900 pounds of free money and tax rebate for car related taxes that aren’t spent on cars.

You train dwellers have it far better
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514

You train dwellers have it far better

er, do we? I'm trying to remember the last time I went on a train (I use them frequently) and either didn't have a cancelled or late train. I can't.
er, do we? I'm trying to remember the last time I went on a train (I use them frequently) and either didn't have a cancelled or late train. I can't.

You read what I wrote.... yes you do.
Original post by paul514
You read what I wrote.... yes you do.

No we don't:
- train fares keep rising
- train strikes
- cancelled / late trains
- not enough seats / trains
No we don't:
- train fares keep rising
- train strikes
- cancelled / late trains
- not enough seats / trains

900 pounds given in subsides each year, no tax on fuel, no road tax, or vat on mot, insurance, servicing and capital expenditure on the actual car itself.

And like I previously mentioned those taxes do not get spent on car related government expenditure like roads etc
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514
900 pounds given in subsides each year, no tax on fuel, no road tax, or vat on mot, insurance, servicing and capital expenditure on the actual car itself.

And like I previously mentioned those taxes do not get spent on car related government expenditure like roads etc

But at least you're guaranteed a seat and don't have to put up with someones screaming child. And if you've got to change trains, (as I had to do twice on Sunday) there's either no waiting around for half an hour or having to race to another platform to find you've just missed your train.

Give me a car journey over trains any day.
But at least you're guaranteed a seat and don't have to put up with someones screaming child. And if you've got to change trains, (as I had to do twice on Sunday) there's either no waiting around for half an hour or having to race to another platform to find you've just missed your train.

Give me a car journey over trains any day.

Then pay for a car then if it’s so much better.
I’ll give you just a small example.

Fuel duty on petrol is 58p a litre and then they add the cost of the fuel and the duty together then charge vat on both.

So if Petrol at the forecourt is around 1.10 a litre it’s actually about 30p without the tax.

On a standard saloon cars 60 litre tank that’s roughly 48 quid in tax just on fuel every time you fill up out of the 66 you pay at the till
(edited 6 years ago)
I do think it's a bit ridiculous that there's an increasing drive for encouraging people to use public transport, but in direct contrast to this, the prices rise to the extent that people are off-put, or even can't afford it. It seems a bit of a backwards approach :dontknow:
Original post by shadowdweller
I do think it's a bit ridiculous that there's an increasing drive for encouraging people to use public transport, but in direct contrast to this, the prices rise to the extent that people are off-put, or even can't afford it. It seems a bit of a backwards approach :dontknow:

There’s no vat on it and a 30% subsidy 😂
Original post by paul514

Still expensive though.
Original post by paul514

That doesn't mean people can afford it still though, sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending