The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Can I self study A Levels to enter for medicine in September 2019

I am 19-years-old, currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A Levels to enter for Medicine in September 2019. The UCAS deadline is 18th October 2018.

I heard that Medicine courses do not accept re-sits, this is my first time taking Sciences at A Level, I previously studied Humanities and didn’t perform very well due to extenuating circumstances. Will this hinder my chances of being offered a place despite being very able and capable of achieving the predicted grades of AAA at A Level for the QMUL Medicine course?

If I get my employer to do my reference she will not be able to comment on my academic ability or predictions of grades as she does not teach me A Levels, how would they place offers in this case? Could she mention any grades received consistently on practice exam papers or would it be better to get a tutor to fill out the reference?

If they cannot get a clear enough idea from the predictions will my GCSE qualifications and personal statement/work experience be of any use in making a decision?
Original post by PrincessSarah98
I am 19-years-old, currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A Levels to enter for Medicine in September 2019. The UCAS deadline is 18th October 2018.

I heard that Medicine courses do not accept re-sits, this is my first time taking Sciences at A Level, I previously studied Humanities and didn’t perform very well due to extenuating circumstances. Will this hinder my chances of being offered a place despite being very able and capable of achieving the predicted grades of AAA at A Level for the QMUL Medicine course?

If I get my employer to do my reference she will not be able to comment on my academic ability or predictions of grades as she does not teach me A Levels, how would they place offers in this case? Could she mention any grades received consistently on practice exam papers or would it be better to get a tutor to fill out the reference?

If they cannot get a clear enough idea from the predictions will my GCSE qualifications and personal statement/work experience be of any use in making a decision?

Am employer can give you predicteds as long as they discuss it with you and state the basis on which they came to that conclusion.ICAS has a guide for referees.

The A levels you are relying on must be taken within a 2 year window including resits. The vast majority of unis do not like and will not accept resits outside the 2 year window. A tiny few will consider it.

If you are doing home study and fresh, then I would not start my 2 years studies running until I was sure I was ready. One you hit the start button the clock starts ticking.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by 999tigger
Am employer can give you predicteds as long as they discuss it with you and state the basis on which they came to that conclusion.ICAS has a guide for referees.

The A levels you are relying on must be taken within a 2 year window including resits. The vast majority of unis do not like and will not accept resits outside the 2 year window. A tiny few will consider it.

If you are doing home study and fresh, then I would not start my 2 years studies running until I was sure I was ready. One you hit the start button the clock starts ticking.

Ahh so it would not be a resit as I have never done Biology or Chemistry as an A Level so it would be my first time sitting, which would be fine right?

And so it would be fine for me to submit my application in October to start in 2019?

Would my DDC grades in previous A Level humanities subjects: English Literature, French and Religious Studies (these were all As at GCSE) affect my application despite having outstanding GCSE grades if I am predicted AAA at A Level in Bio,Chem&Psych?
Ahh so it would not be a resit as I have never done Biology or Chemistry as an A Level so it would be my first time sitting, which would be fine right?

And so it would be fine for me to submit my application in October to start in 2019?

Would my DDC grades in previous A Level humanities subjects: English Literature, French and Religious Studies (these were all As at GCSE) affect my application despite having outstanding GCSE grades if I am predicted AAA at A Level in Bio,Chem&Psych?

You missed out on psychology. the 2 year window is the important thing, but yes they would not be resits if you havent studied then before.
So for 2019 you should have started t study by 2017 and not before.

The other exams will affect you to the extent they look at your whole application, but they will be more interested in reference, UKCAT, interview, experience etc.
Original post by 999tigger
You missed out on psychology. the 2 year window is the important thing, but yes they would not be resits if you havent studied then before.
So for 2019 you should have started t study by 2017 and not before.

The other exams will affect you to the extent they look at your whole application, but they will be more interested in reference, UKCAT, interview, experience etc.

I started studying in January 2018 and will be sitting the exams as a private candidate in June 2019. I will have had 18 months of study as opposed to the usual 24 months so it is rather intense. I am self studying so I assume that will demonstrate a high level of initiative, drive, and organisation skill which is required for medicine. I am just worried about being left without any offers because of my past despite it not having any direct impact on the study of Medicine.
I started studying in January 2018 and will be sitting the exams as a private candidate in June 2019. I will have had 18 months of study as opposed to the usual 24 months so it is rather intense. I am self studying so I assume that will demonstrate a high level of initiative, drive, and organisation skill which is required for medicine. I am just worried about being left without any offers because of my past despite it not having any direct impact on the study of Medicine.

They wont care. You have to look after the rest of your application as well. Get a medical note for the other and fill out an extenuating circs form. Plus your referee can mention it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending