The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Here's Why Clearing is a Positive Option: Our Clearing Stories

Opening a set of A Level results that haven’t quite gone as well as you had hoped really does feel like a punch in the gut. Trust me, I’ve been there. It can feel really overwhelming, like the next chapter of your life is ruined.

But here’s the thing, that’s not true.

Maybe my story will help to convince you that results are not the be all and end all, and that you still have options on results day if things don’t go your way.
1. The Setback

I got my A Level results back in August 2017 in my little Welsh Comprehensive School. I had taken the Welsh Baccalaureate, Philosophy and Ethics, Chemistry and Biology, with a view to wanting to be a doctor and pursue a career in medicine. I had applied mainly for pathways degrees, thinking that Graduate Entry Medicine was the way forward for me. On opening the envelope, I could see that my A Level Chemistry grade was too low to meet any of my current conditional offers that were waiting for me in UCAS. It’s safe to say I panicked, thinking my path to wanting to be a doctor was ruined and that I couldn’t achieve my dreams.

Spoiler: I was wrong!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
2. What next?

Thankfully, I had my Mum with me, and she managed to keep me as calm as possible. My UCAS looked bleak, with all my choices now saying ‘unsuccessful,’ next to them. However, it was half an hour later when I had a call from the Clearing Team at Swansea University that my mood changed. It was one of the lecturers calling to tell me that I still had options at Swansea and that I could still start university in September along with my friends. Crucially, she told me, taking this path would mean that I could still pursue my goals of becoming a doctor. I was offered a place on the Applied Medical Sciences with a Foundation Year degree, which I knew was a pathways degree that would allow me to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine later down the line.
3. The Outcome

Looking back, that call was one of the best things that ever happened to me. It gave me a path, a purpose and a new direction for my future.

With a lot of hard work, I am now a Graduate Entry Medicine student at Swansea, about to embark on my third year, and just two years away from being a doctor, having successfully graduated from my Applied Medical Sciences degree with a first class degree with honours.

I’m so glad I answered that call.
Reply 4
I loved reading this! Thank you so much for sharing your story, I’m sure it’ll be an inspiration to those students receiving their results this week😊
4. The Learning Points

Results do not define you. They are important, yes, but they are not the end of the world. You still have options to move on from school even if your A Levels don’t go quite as you expect, whether that is through a degree, an apprenticeship or entering the world of work; you might just have to change your trajectory a bit. I can honestly say that I wouldn’t be the person I am or where I am today without Clearing at Swansea University offering me a lifeline and being such a big part of my journey.

If your results don’t go quite right, call the Clearing Helpline. They’ll do their absolute best to support you and talk you through your options. Swansea really is a beautiful place to study, and the friendly student community that we have is amazing. The fact that this friendliness and welcoming atmosphere extends to the staff too, is excellent.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Swansea as a place to study and live. I mean, I’m entering my 7th year of study here, so they must be doing something right!

Check out our content on Managing Emotions and Expectations on Results Day,’ Clearing and Foundation Years: Removing the Stigma,’ and Dealing with Rejection: Top Tips for Clearing for more information.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Quick Reply

Latest