The Student Room Group

Does God Exist?

Your arguments about God. I'm very interested to hear all your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Since there’s no solid evidence either way, we can’t really say with certainty whether there is or isn’t a god.

Personally I don’t believe in it, but I did growing up and understand why people do. It’d be nice to think there’s something out there watching over me.
Original post by Unkilled

In the briefest possible terms it is the human attempt to personify nature in order to bargain with it.

Did you ever stop to wonder why you are even interested in the name or term God?

When you were born you have absolutely no knowledge of a God

So when and where did this interest in this very specific "thing" occur?

Let me answer

Other humans, told you about this entity called God
Other humans gave you stories about this entity
Other humans have tried to limit and frame your life experience by confining it to this very specific concept of "God" and all that goes with it

Why would they do that?

Because by limiting people's thoughts, asking them to replace thinking and rationality with blind faith and compliance, they are able to control.

Don't be a puppet.

Stop worrying about whether this thing they call "God" exists or not. It's a man-made concept.

Look at the world around you. Look at Nature for Nature is where you came from and what you are a part of. Understand how Nature operates and you will come to understand who and what you are, which is paramount.

TEMET NOSCE

Never let others limit you with specific concepts.

If you are referring to the God in the Bible then know that the Bible is NOT meant to be read or taken literally. It is a heavily edited and censored creation of lots of separate documents and works and it contains many secrets hidden cryptically, allegorically and in code.
The text in the Bible is merely padding to contain all those secrets.

Never take a literal interpretation of the Bible. It makes no sense anyway if you do that, it is riddled with 100s if not 1000s of outright contradictions and the "God" described there is a vengeful entity, who engages in genocide, ethnic cleansing, killing and maiming of children and other atrocious behaviours.

The questions you need to ask:

Who am I?
What am I?
How do I avoid death?
What does my body lack that causes me to age and get ill?
What does Nature offer to help me?

and so on

Religion and other brainwashing merchants seek to distract you from this crucial search. It seeks to limit your thinking by directing it down singular paths, just like your question. Too many people are obsessed with "does God exist". It's a diversion, a distraction nothing more.
The truth is out there, you only have to Seek to Find.

But first we have to put aside all the conditioning and brainwashing we received from other humans throughout our childhood and into adulthood and be prepared to think wider and without those chains.

TEMET NOSCE

Free Your Mind

We no longer need "God".

Go read the book Homo Deus.
Well, I would say that there isn't a god. Not that I think that it isn't possible for some higher entity to exist: that could be credible, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support that belief. However, I do think that the God described in religious texts does not exist.

This is because it is not logically possible for a god to possess any of the following factors:
- Omnipotence
- Omniscience
- Omnipresence
- Omnibenevolence
- Supernatural

Omnipotence is not possible because you can't make a square circle. Omniscience because then the God would've known his own existence before he existed. Which is impossible. Omnibenevolence speaks for itself, and I refuse to believe that God is supernatural giving that his existence MUST have a scientific explanation. As for Omnipresence, the universe constantly expands. So there.
Original post by nonotyoutoo
We no longer need "God".

Go read the book Homo Deus.

And your argument is?
Original post by Axiomasher
In the briefest possible terms it is the human attempt to personify nature in order to bargain with it.

As Einstein said: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness."
As Einstein said: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness."

Well Sir. He also said "the more I study Science the more I believe in god".
Well, I would say that there isn't a god. Not that I think that it isn't possible for some higher entity to exist: that could be credible, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support that belief. However, I do think that the God described in religious texts does not exist.

This is because it is not logically possible for a god to possess any of the following factors:
- Omnipotence
- Omniscience
- Omnipresence
- Omnibenevolence
- Supernatural

Omnipotence is not possible because you can't make a square circle. Omniscience because then the God would've known his own existence before he existed. Which is impossible. Omnibenevolence speaks for itself, and I refuse to believe that God is supernatural giving that his existence MUST have a scientific explanation. As for Omnipresence, the universe constantly expands. So there.

Your opinion is respected. But I think you might be misunderstanding what those words even mean.

I am no religious person, however I love to hear how people interpret things in their own mind. So please go ahead and tell me, for example: Why a superior being (or GOD) cant be omnipresence, even though the universe is expanding? What if "God" was everything and everywhere and the expansion is just "God" too?
I rather die believing in the off chance there is God as well as heaven and hell (and have a chance to go heaven), than forsake myself and refuse to believe in God (and go hell as a result).
Original post by MiszshorTeea786

1: I did not say he didn't say that.

2: These statements seem contradictory: Maybe he was saying that he believed more and more in a creative intelligence forming the world, not the God described in religious texts. If you can find any evidence to disprove me on this one, I would be happy to know.

- Omnipotence
- Omniscience
- Omnipresence
- Omnibenevolence
- Supernatural

Why use logic to define something that is beyond your comprehension? God created logic so obviously he can defy it to.
Original post by fallenvars
Your opinion is respected. But I think you might be misunderstanding what those words even mean.

I am no religious person, however I love to hear how people interpret things in their own mind. So please go ahead and tell me, for example: Why a superior being (or GOD) cant be omnipresence, even though the universe is expanding? What if "God" was everything and everywhere and the expansion is just "God" too?

In that case, God would not be the one described in religious texts. If God was everything and everywhere, then is Satan not a manifestation of God as well? Thus I disprove once again the notion of Omnibenevolence.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Why use logic to define something that is beyond your comprehension? God created logic so obviously he can defy it to.

Because nothing can defy logic. You can't make a square circle. Just not possible, I'm afraid. And if you wanted to have all the powers, then why invent circles and squares in the first place. Also, nothing is beyond our comprehension. If you solve each unknown in every equation, anything can be understood.

Also, why create logic if it disproves God's own existence?
(edited 6 years ago)
Because nothing can defy logic. You can't make a square circle. Just not possible, I'm afraid. And if you wanted to have all the powers, then why invent circles and squares in the first place. Also, nothing is beyond our comprehension. If you solve each unknown in every equation, anything can be understood.

Also, why create logic if it disproves God's own existence?

But that's for mortal logic, what we are talking about here is on the scale of immortality. Going back to my point there are things that even science couldn't solve, that's why we got God of the Gaps.
Original post by MiszshorTeea786

Source?

Einstein said he believed in a pantheistic interpretation where God is the universe.

In other words, his interpretation is that religion is a "childish superstition", but that science can invoke an almost spiritual emotion when contemplating the splendor of the universe because understanding is " too vast for our human minds".

That is very different from disingenuously stating Einstein believed in God.
(edited 6 years ago)

- Omnipotence
- Omniscience
- Omnipresence
- Omnibenevolence
- Supernatural

I am not here to say whether or not God exists nor am I here to say whether or not those properties exist. I am only here to say that all of the reasons you gave for why those properties do not exist is so stupid that it is laughable lol. It may actually be the case that they don't exist but it is definitely not because of the reasons you gave lmao. Go read a book on philosophy of religion or theology or something. No offence.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
But that's for mortal logic, what we are talking about here is on the scale of immortality. Going back to my point there are things that even science couldn't solve, that's why we got God of the Gaps.

The thing is, you can't really just say that just because science doesn't prove something, it must be god.
Original post by RenéDescartes
I am not here to say whether or not God exists nor am I here to say whether or not those properties exist. I am only here to say that all of the reasons you gave for why those properties do not exist is so stupid that it is laughable lol. It may actually be the case that they don't exist but it is definitely not because of the reasons you gave lmao. Go read a book on philosophy of religion or theology or something. No offence.

And you can do any better?

Can you disprove any of the reasons? Sure, they may not be concrete, but can you actually disprove them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending