The Student Room Group

What is the difference between Grim Reaper and Satan?

Why does grim Reaper do evil? Isn't all bad things done by Satan?
下载.jpeg illustration-painting-of-the-death-as-know-as-grim-reaper-holding-the-scythe-against-the-eclipse.jpg
(edited 9 months ago)
The Grim Reaper is a personification of Death, as far as I know there is no culture that claims or believes all bad things are performed by him. He is generally believed the be the entity that either causes your death when it is your time or who is simply there to collect your soul at the moment of your bodily death. Satan is regarded as an altogether different being, usually a fallen angel or spirit of some kind who rebelled against God.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
The Grim Reaper is a personification of Death, as far as I know there is no culture that claims or believes all bad things are performed by him. He is generally believed the be the entity that either causes your death when it is your time or who is simply there to collect your soul at the moment of your bodily death. Satan is regarded as an altogether different being, usually a fallen angel or spirit of some kind who rebelled against God.

The Bible says, "Satan is the root of all evil," which means "Satan does all evil." But the Grim Reaper has killed many people, and the Grim Reaper is also doing evil. This confuses me. Satan does all the bad things. Why does Grim Reaper exist? I mean "Isn't satan supposed to do the work that Grim Reaper does?":confused:
Original post by willwongeleven53
The Bible says, "Satan is the root of all evil," which means "Satan does all evil."

Those two phrases don't mean the same thing. While you could argue that Satan is the fundamental influence behind all evil actions, all the religions that believe in Satan as a literal being also hold that it's perfectly possible and indeed normal for people to do evil things all the time. The evil nature of man is the founding principle of Christianity for example. In short, none of the religions that claim Satan is real say that only he commits evil actions.

But the Grim Reaper has killed many people, and the Grim Reaper is also doing evil. This confuses me. Satan does all the bad things. Why does Grim Reaper exist? I mean "Isn't satan supposed to do the work that Grim Reaper does?":confused:

This depends on exactly what interpretation or flavour of the Grim Reaper you're considering. While in some beliefs the Grim Reaper himself does the killing, in others he doesn't, he just collects the dead without himself being the cause of it. Moreover, as far as I know not many people actually believe in a real, literal Grim Reaper, it's mostly employed as a metaphor, an idea, symbolism. Whereas many people do believe in the reality of Satan.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
The Bible says,
Why does grim Reaper do evil? Isn't all bad things done by Satan?
下载.jpeg illustration-painting-of-the-death-as-know-as-grim-reaper-holding-the-scythe-against-the-eclipse.jpg

The grim reaper not evil, he just collects your soul or causes your death, also the Grim Reaper is not explicitly stated in the Bible. Here is a link for Bible verses that could be a Grim Reaper but are not evil themselves since they are Angels
https://www.openbible.info/topics/grim_reaper . Read this too https://www.gotquestions.org/angel-of-death.html

Quick Reply

Latest