The Student Room Group

Productive year 11 summer for a future Cambridge Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
I've got this from a Cambridge student who studied an unconvential subject at a-level but got an offer and is now studying there.
He did sociology, he knew that the course he applied for sociology wasn't "accepted". Like taking biology instead of physics for mathematics.
He addressed it in the interview and the interviewers told him that he gained skills for it that go well for the course. Since they generally thought that those who do sociology a-level copy and paste, they don't "actually" analyse. But he gained analytical skills etc. So yeah. He got an unconditional offer.

Furthermore, I'm going to be studying mathematics and engineering in ALL of the summer places i'm going to. I'm then going to be able to decide if aerospace is the one for me. I'd rather go and find out now. In my year 11 summer, than find out in my year 12 summer. It gives me a definitive goal. I can only work with definitive goals or else I'm not working at all. Right now I "know" I want to be an engineer. This summer can either define that or lead me on a different path (yahwehhh forbid man I've worked so hard to plan this one)

E.g See my current 2018 goals.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vau6sJrp-KtWER4HiT91O1x7F4DTND9YbnISkCPcPYU/edit?usp=sharing

Well, all I can say is you are definitely A LOT more prepared than me when I was in year 11. And you seem to have a lot more extracurriculars than the Oxbridge offer holders I know (bar possibly one girl who applied for economics). I'll eat my hat if you don't at least get an offer :smile:.
Reply 41
What about NCS? i think that is very key as it shows you are free and easy and not stressful. It gives your personality a good sound. It shows you are better suited to the Cambridge environment of handling your social life and academic life and still being successful. I know many applicants who did this kind of stuff but never showed another side and that you can adapt. Be careful
Reply 42
how do you apply for the scholorship thingy.
Honestly I know several people who started at Oxford/Cambridge last year, and many more (including me) who have received offers this year. The truth is that almost all of us didn't go to any summer schools or do any of these programmes or actually very much in the way of extracurricular activity whatsoever... (and in fact the people I know who actually did do these activities all got rejected.)

Really it's a myth that you need to do all of these things and in reality all you need is a passion for your subject (and of course that does include outside reading) and to be talented. There's little more to it.

The point is that you're in year 11 and you needn't worry yourself about Cambridge so early on (in all honesty it's not worth thinking too much on it until the summer of year 12 - after the mocks you'll sit etc). Just enjoy your summer, read around areas of your subject that you enjoy and relax.

TL;DR Cambridge don't really care about your extracurricular activities, so just enjoy your life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by riyapaa
What about NCS? i think that is very key as it shows you are free and easy and not stressful. It gives your personality a good sound. It shows you are better suited to the Cambridge environment of handling your social life and academic life and still being successful. I know many applicants who did this kind of stuff but never showed another side and that you can adapt. Be careful

NCS unfortunately has nothing to do with what I want to apply for.
Sure it shows you have qualities or whatever
But cambridge gets so many applications for engineering/maths i doubt they read personal statements anyway.
Damn just saw the document. Do you go to a grammar girls' school or something? You're going to have a great personal statement!
Original post by laaaarrry
Honestly I know several people who started at Oxford/Cambridge last year, and many more (including me) who have received offers this year. The truth is that almost all of us didn't go to any summer schools or do any of these programmes or actually very much in the way of extracurricular activity whatsoever... (and in fact the people I know who actually did do these activities all got rejected.)

Really it's a myth that you need to do all of these things and in reality all you need is a passion for your subject (and of course that does include outside reading) and to be talented. There's little more to it.

The point is that you're in year 11 and you needn't worry yourself about Cambridge so early on (in all honesty it's not worth thinking too much on it until the summer of year 12 - after the mocks you'll sit etc). Just enjoy your summer, read around areas of your subject that you enjoy and relax.

TL;DR Cambridge don't really care about your extracurricular activities, so just enjoy your life.

I agree with your enjoy and relax.
Don't agree with how you tried to portray your subjective views as objective.
If summer schools such as UNIQ and Sutton Trust weren't beneficial then why are most alumnis offer holders at top russell groups?
It depends solely on the person. Many people can go to a maths summer school but how many people make it relevant to their application.
Similarly, thousands of students are head boy/girl but how many students use this to make their application better.
Simply stating "I went on sutton trust" or "I'm head girl" won't get you anywhere.
Reply 47

If summer schools such as UNIQ and Sutton Trust weren't beneficial then why are most alumnis offer holders at top russell groups?

Correlation =/= causation

Sutton Trust & UNIQ students are also high achievers. That's how they qualify for the programme in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thekidwhogames
Damn just saw the document. Do you go to a grammar girls' school or something? You're going to have a great personal statement!

I wish. I don't go to a grammar school .
Original post by Doonesbury
Correlation =/= causation

Sutton Trust & UNIQ students are also high achievers. That's how they qualify for the programme in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I'm sure I'm a high-achiever if I was chosen at 15 years old despite the thousands of (already received qualifications) 16, 17 and 18 year olds who applied.
NCS unfortunately has nothing to do with what I want to apply for.
Sure it shows you have qualities or whatever
But cambridge gets so many applications for engineering/maths i doubt they read personal statements anyway.

CS here not maths/engineering, but don't count on them not reading your PS. One of my two interviews was based almost entirely on topics I'd talked about in my PS, as well as the interviewer in the first interview specifically mentioning part of my PS while walking back from the interview room.
Original post by Faction Paradox
CS here not maths/engineering, but don't count on them not reading your PS. One of my two interviews was based almost entirely on topics I'd talked about in my PS, as well as the interviewer in the first interview specifically mentioning part of my PS while walking back from the interview room.

You do computer science at Cambridge? Sick! What college?

I'm not quite sure about cs. But I know maths and engineering have over 300 applications on average per college for about 30 places on average per college.
I'm not quite sure about cs. But I know maths and engineering have over 300 applications on average per college for about 30 places on average per college.

Last year CS was the 2nd most competitive course after architecture
Reply 54
Yes. I'm sure I'm a high-achiever if I was chosen at 15 years old despite the thousands of (already received qualifications) 16, 17 and 18 year olds who applied.

You were chosen for Sutton Trust or UNIQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year CS was the 2nd most competitive course after architecture

what college are you studying in?
what college are you studying in?

I've got an offer from Girton
Original post by Doonesbury
You were chosen for Sutton Trust or UNIQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I won't be able to apply anyway.
I was chosen for ORA. They get over 5000 applications for 3 fully-funded places.
I've got an offer from Girton

Girton has an indoor swimming pool and also a meme king studying maths in third year. Tom wang? Heard of him?
Reply 59

Yes, they read it to potentially use it for interview question starters, as you found, but not as a significant factor in your application.

And many people aren't asked anything at all about their PS at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending