The Student Room Group

Will doing double science prevent me from getting into good universities?

I am in year 10 going to year 11, and for now I have picked to be in a set that does triple science for year 11 (my school's head of science said that if when we do mocks and that we think that we may get a better grade if we did double science then we can move to a double science class, that would then also mean i've learnt some extra information that I did not need to learn. and also I am not straight on picking double because I want to see if I can push myself and maybe get good grades in science which could look better in applications?), but during my revision I realised that triple science is a lot more than I thought. And I personally will most likely not do any science related things for A-level nor in my future career, so I would prefer to spend more time on subjects that I am more interested in and that would help me more with things I want to do it the future. (for example maybe math, because I am quite interested in finance or like business)

But in the same time I want to get into a good university, I don't really have a dream school I want to get it, but I was just wondering for the overall high ranking universities in UK such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, etc, will universities like these accept students who only did double science/would they prefer students who did triple science?

Also how much time is there in between taking paper 1 and paper 2?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by infires-
I am in year 10 going to year 11, and for now I have picked to be in a set that does triple science for year 11 (I asked my head of science that, if when we do mocks and that we think that we may get a better grade if we did double science then we can move to a double science class, however that would then also mean i've learnt some extra information that I did not need to learn), but during my revision I realised that triple science is a lot more than I thought. And I personally will most likely not do any science related things for A-level nor in my future career, so I would prefer to spend more time on subjects that I am more interested in and that would help me more with things I want to do it the future. (for example maybe math, because I am quite interested in finance or like business)

But in the same time I want to get into a good university, I don't really have a dream school I want to get it, but I was just wondering for the overall high ranking universities in UK such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, etc, will universities like these accept students who only did double science/would they prefer students who did triple science?

Having done double science or three separate sciences will have zero impact when it comes to universities preferring you over another candidate.
Original post by infires-
I am in year 10 going to year 11, and for now I have picked to be in a set that does triple science for year 11 (my school's head of science said that if when we do mocks and that we think that we may get a better grade if we did double science then we can move to a double science class, that would then also mean i've learnt some extra information that I did not need to learn. and also I am not straight on picking double because I want to see if I can push myself and maybe get good grades in science which could look better in applications?), but during my revision I realised that triple science is a lot more than I thought. And I personally will most likely not do any science related things for A-level nor in my future career, so I would prefer to spend more time on subjects that I am more interested in and that would help me more with things I want to do it the future. (for example maybe math, because I am quite interested in finance or like business)

If you aren't planning to pursue science at all, then it's not worth the stress or time to do triple science. I say this because 1) universities look at a levels more than gcses and 2) they look at your grades, not your subjects.
They won't care.

Quick Reply

Latest