The Student Room Group

Wearing glasses in exams

In exams I hate wearing my glasses, but it takes time to take them off and I can't see the time without them. Should I wear them more to get use to them?
Reply 1
Put them on only when you want to see the time?

Or get a watch.
You can usually take a watch into an exam and leave it on your desk, but it mustn't be a smart watch. Best to check with your school first to make sure.
Reply 3
Original post by SmilingWombat
You can usually take a watch into an exam and leave it on your desk, but it mustn't be a smart watch. Best to check with your school first to make sure.

Our school doesn't allow watches at all as they ca't be bothered to check if it's a smart watch or not. But thanx for the suggestion :smile:
Reply 4
For me it was annoying too but I couldn't stand wearing them for up close for too long.

It is not a good idea to use them for up close if you don't need them. Just wear them when you want to see the time.
It takes time to take your glasses off? What, 2 seconds?
Reply 6
Original post by Palmyra

Every second counts! *mind goes blank for five minutes halfway throughout the exam*
Original post by Aseeb Tariq
Every second counts! *mind goes blank for five minutes halfway throughout the exam*

that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, the time it takes to remove your glasses is negligible and utterly insignificant
Original post by Angel_Chen
In exams I hate wearing my glasses, but it takes time to take them off and I can't see the time without them. Should I wear them more to get use to them?

At first I was like 'but how tf are you meant to see the exam paper??' until I read what you said properly :P
If you really find it disadvantages you in the exam then I would speak to your teacher and see whether a) you can get permission to take in a plain wristwatch, or b) see if you can be seated near to the wall clock so that you can see it without your glasses.

Maybe ask the exam's officer if you can be placed at the front. Explain the situation to them.
Original post by Palmyra

My eyes don't focus straight after I take them off so... it's mostly just annoying. Plus I sometimes get a headache from wearing my glasses.
In subjects like history, they expect you to write half a page in 5 minutes. Most papers are a mark per minute and in my physics exam on Friday I forgot to get my glasses out and ended up running out of time for the first time ever. Also they don't give you 5 minute warnings anymore.
(edited 6 years ago)
my school didn't allow watches either but they did allow stopwatches so bring one of those
My eyes don't focus straight after I take them off so... it's mostly just annoying. Plus I sometimes get a headache from wearing my glasses.
In subjects like history, they expect you to write half a page in 5 minutes. Most papers are a mark per minute and in my physics exam on Friday I forgot to get my glasses out and ended up runninת׳g out of time for the first time ever. Also they don't give you 5 minute warnings anymore.

Sounds like either your prescription is wrong (too strong) or you need a separate prescription for up close.
Reply 14
I wear contact lenses during exams. You might be able to get a free trial. I know Specsavers do them.

Quick Reply

Latest