The Student Room Group

When do I have to wear glasses? I'm a little confused

So I recently had an eye test because I thought I was short sighted and I was right. The optometrist told me I was right and had to wear glasses while driving or using a computer and I said driving and screens? She said yes so I'm assuming all screens like computer/laptop, phone etc but when I got the slip after I paid for the glasses it said driving or watching TV so I'm a little confused now. [FYI my short sight is fine like upto a few metres and close up I can see clear it's just from a further distance text/numbers look blurry to me, I can't read number plates/road signs from a distance they look blurry or look like a different letter/ number to what they are. I don't watch TV I don't even have one, I only use my laptop for work and my phone. I do go cinema sometimes so I know I'll have to wear glasses for the whole movie. So what do I do? My glasses haven't arrived yet so can't wear anything now but what do I do when they arrive wear them when using any type of screen in my case my phone, laptop, cinema and driving? Or just cinema, driving and laptop?
Original post by Anonymous
So I recently had an eye test because I thought I was short sighted and I was right. The optometrist told me I was right and had to wear glasses while driving or using a computer and I said driving and screens? She said yes so I'm assuming all screens like computer/laptop, phone etc but when I got the slip after I paid for the glasses it said driving or watching TV so I'm a little confused now. [FYI my short sight is fine like upto a few metres and close up I can see clear it's just from a further distance text/numbers look blurry to me, I can't read number plates/road signs from a distance they look blurry or look like a different letter/ number to what they are. I don't watch TV I don't even have one, I only use my laptop for work and my phone. I do go cinema sometimes so I know I'll have to wear glasses for the whole movie. So what do I do? My glasses haven't arrived yet so can't wear anything now but what do I do when they arrive wear them when using any type of screen in my case my phone, laptop, cinema and driving? Or just cinema, driving and laptop?

Hi television counts as screens as you’d be sat in front of it whilst watching it so hand-held devices such as a mobile phone, tablet and laptops and computers as well as television screens are when it’s permitted to use it also when you are taking driving lessons or the test it’s also important to use other than that besides that it doesn’t look like you need to use it for any other purpose
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi television counts as screens as you’d be sat in front of it whilst watching it so hand-held devices such as a mobile phone, tablet and laptops and computers as well as television screens are when it’s permitted to use it also when you are taking driving lessons or the test it’s also important to use other than that besides that it doesn’t look like you need to use it for any other purpose

Thanks yeah that's what I thought she meant. I'll have to wear it for my theory test too since it will be on a computer. But will I have to wear it for just a glance at my phone or to show my cinema ticket because when I go out I don't look at my phone unless its a quick glance to check the time or show my cinema ticket which isn't often.
Reply 3
Thanks yeah that's what I thought she meant. I'll have to wear it for my theory test too since it will be on a computer. But will I have to wear it for just a glance at my phone or to show my cinema ticket because when I go out I don't look at my phone unless its a quick glance to check the time or show my cinema ticket which isn't often.

No, if you're short-sighted you don't need to wear them when on your phone or even, in most cases, on your computer. They're only to accomodate seeing distances, so you only have to wear them when watching TV, driving etc.

Well I’d advise let’s say if your streaming something on your phone I’d wear it if it’s a longer period of time if it’s short you just taking a quick glance don’t see how that’s a problem as for showing your cinema ticket why exactly would you need your glasses exactly if you don’t mind me asking.
Reply 5

I cant see distance, but only out them on when i need, so reading things far away like signs and stuff, watching tv, in uni looking at the board ect. But for every day walking round i dont wear them as i dont need them. So youll find whats best for you.
Like my sister has to wear hers every waking moment as she cant see without them, but i dont...
Reply 6
Well I’d advise let’s say if your streaming something on your phone I’d wear it if it’s a longer period of time if it’s short you just taking a quick glance don’t see how that’s a problem as for showing your cinema ticket why exactly would you need your glasses exactly if you don’t mind me asking.

Because I buy my cinema tickets online so I have to show the ticket on my phone because I won't have a paper one.
Because I buy my cinema tickets online so I have to show the ticket on my phone because I won't have a paper one.

Na that shouldn’t be a problem you necessarily don’t need to read it but displaying it up you don’t think you should have a problem right
Reply 8
Original post by Riann246
No, if you're short-sighted you don't need to wear them when on your phone or even, in most cases, on your computer. They're only to accomodate seeing distances, so you only have to wear them when watching TV, driving etc.

Oh but then why did the optometrist say while using a computer? I have a laptop so the same thing really.
Oh but then why did the optometrist say while using a computer? I have a laptop so the same thing really.

Likelihood is to avoid any form of strain perhaps
Reply 10
Na that shouldn’t be a problem you necessarily don’t need to read it but displaying it up you don’t think you should have a problem right

Right
Reply 11

I was told the same actually (and I'm also short-sighted), but I never wear them when I use my laptop. I think some people sit at computers like 1 meter away from them, and small text at that distance might cause some strain.
Reply 12

Yeah, I think I'm going to use them when I'm using my phone and laptop as I'm using them for long periods everyday for work etc and also driving but when I go out I won't unless I'm watching a movie at the cinema and when I have my theory test. Thanks
Reply 13
Likelihood is to avoid any form of strain perhaps

Yeah
Reply 14
Original post by Riann246
I was told the same actually (and I'm also short-sighted), but I never wear them when I use my laptop. I think some people sit at computers like 1 meter away from them, and small text at that distance might cause some strain.

Oh because she asked if I have a computer and I said yes because laptop and computer is the same thing as they're both PC's, she must of thought I have a desktop computer and it's far away from my face when in use or something but I have a laptop so its always on my lap when I'm using it and I can see/read it clearly. I personally think I only need the glasses for driving because I can't read road signs or number plates from a distance, I can see clearly on my phone and laptop even the cinema screen is clear even if I sit right at the back.
Reply 15
Oh because she asked if I have a computer and I said yes because laptop and computer is the same thing as they're both PC's, she must of thought I have a desktop computer and it's far away from my face when in use or something but I have a laptop so its always on my lap when I'm using it and I can see/read it clearly. I personally think I only need the glasses for driving because I can't read road signs or number plates from a distance, I can see clearly on my phone and laptop even the cinema screen is clear even if I sit right at the back.

Yep, in that case it's minor for you.
Reply 16
Wear them when you feel you need them, if they are not helping or making things worse (for up close) don't wear them.

Long story short, If you are short sighted (no pun intended), keep your glasses accessible at all times so you can grab them whenever you can't see something. I personally wear my glasses all day but it's up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending