The Student Room Group

Glasses

School just started for me, my vision is blurry, when im near i can see it clearly, when far i cant, im pretty sure its myopia. Usually my parents scold me for using my phone too much and says if i need glasses they wont buy one for me. So far i really need glass since j can barely see the whiteboard and need to squint my eyes, how do i tell them and try to cope with their scolding.

Thanks
Hi,
I had the pretty much same situation as you (except if I need glasses , my parents will buy them for me, and I wear glasses now). So maybe this will help:
1. If one or both of you parents have any problems with their eyes, e.g. my mum always scolds me for using my computer too much, but my dad has myopia so she cannot say anything more.
2. If they do not, tell them that without glasses: firstly it will bother you very much, as you mentioned, secondly, if they think that not using glasses will help you, it will not.
3. Tell them to take you for an eye check and it will work for parents who listens to doctors very much
4. Do not be on the screen all day (even if you have myopia)
5. If they really do not want to buy you glasses, tell them to never ask you what does something say and then say oh you cannot see anything you are blind (that's what my mum always says)
6. If you have pocket money save them to buy a pair..:smile:
Hope it will help you
Reply 2
In addition to what the previous reply says.
How old are you?
Can you move closer to the whiteboard? Moving to the front row helped me to survive almost 3 years at school before I had no choice but to wear glasses.
Reducing screen time and increasing the time spent outdoors may help too.
Reply 3
Original post by Kathy89
In addition to what the previous reply says.
How old are you?
Can you move closer to the whiteboard? Moving to the front row helped me to survive almost 3 years at school before I had no choice but to wear glasses.
Reducing screen time and increasing the time spent outdoors may help too.

Im in the front row, i can see it a bit if the letters are big but its blurry.
In my country, its hard to spend outdoors here, its like 45 Celsius everyday.
I really want to tell my mom but its hard for me because im scared.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I had the pretty much same situation as you (except if I need glasses , my parents will buy them for me, and I wear glasses now). So maybe this will help:
1. If one or both of you parents have any problems with their eyes, e.g. my mum always scolds me for using my computer too much, but my dad has myopia so she cannot say anything more.
2. If they do not, tell them that without glasses: firstly it will bother you very much, as you mentioned, secondly, if they think that not using glasses will help you, it will not.
3. Tell them to take you for an eye check and it will work for parents who listens to doctors very much
4. Do not be on the screen all day (even if you have myopia)
5. If they really do not want to buy you glasses, tell them to never ask you what does something say and then say oh you cannot see anything you are blind (that's what my mum always says)
6. If you have pocket money save them to buy a pair..:smile:
Hope it will help you

Thanks!

My parents have great vision.
When i will tell them, they will most likely say "oh its because you use your phone too much"
What do i say, or do i say anything?
do you have a free health care plan that can give you free glasses? :smile:
Reply 6
Im in the front row, i can see it a bit if the letters are big but its blurry.
In my country, its hard to spend outdoors here, its like 45 Celsius everyday.
I really want to tell my mom but its hard for me because im scared.

Here here I am at (Israel) it is hot too
Thanks!

My parents have great vision.
When i will tell them, they will most likely say "oh its because you use your phone too much"
What do i say, or do i say anything?

Just tell them, even if they'd be angry it doesn't mean they won't care and help you solving the problem.
School just started for me, my vision is blurry, when im near i can see it clearly, when far i cant, im pretty sure its myopia. Usually my parents scold me for using my phone too much and says if i need glasses they wont buy one for me. So far i really need glass since j can barely see the whiteboard and need to squint my eyes, how do i tell them and try to cope with their scolding.

Thanks

Would your parents book you an eye test? :smile: If they hear it from a professional they might change their mind. If you think they won't book it, you could perhaps ask a teacher you're on good terms with and ask them to send a letter home explaining that you're having trouble seeing the board, and it might affect your schoolwork performance if you don't see an optician.
Original post by Chronoscope
Would your parents book you an eye test? :smile: If they hear it from a professional they might change their mind. If you think they won't book it, you could perhaps ask a teacher you're on good terms with and ask them to send a letter home explaining that you're having trouble seeing the board, and it might affect your schoolwork performance if you don't see an optician.

I totally agree about that
Reply 9
Original post by Chronoscope

Good advice
I'm not an ophthalmologist but I believe that looking at screens/devices for too long does not have an impact or increase your incidence of developing eye-related health conditions.
Reply 11

Thanks

pretty stupid of them. maybe ask them to at least book you an eye test or tell your teacher to bring it up to your parents and say that they've noticed you're struggling to see the board and it's affecting your learning so you want them to get you an eye test done, they probably won't be able to argue against that.

Quick Reply

Latest