The Student Room Group

studywithkelly

Hello! :redface:

My name is Kelly and I am currently studying four subjects at AS Level, and these are as follows: Spanish, English Literature, Art and Performing Arts. I'm a little bit late to the party but I only just found out about Grow Your Grades and thought that it would still be a great way for me to keep track of my own studying, and hopefully help out a few others along the way.

Last year, I did my GCSE examinations and achieved 8 A* grades, 2 A grades and 2 Merits so if you have any questions about GCSEs, I will do my very best to answer them. Please also feel free to ask me anything about the subjects that I'm currently studying, or make a suggestion of what you'd like to see here.

This year, I am hoping to achieve at least 3 A grades and a Merit at AS Level and so I will hopefully be keeping you guys up to date about how my studying goes, any tips and tricks that I pick up along the way, as well as nice pictures of stationery. Everyone loves nice pictures of stationery.
Good luck!
Original post by DrawTheLine
Good luck!

Thank you!
Reply 3
No need to show off
Hello everybody!

Unfortunately, I haven't been posting over the last week but for good reason! I spent half term in a place in Spain called Valladolid, it's an hour or two north of Madrid, and it used to be the capital of Spain. I stayed with a Spanish lady in her flat and attended the international school in the city from Monday to Friday. It was definitely an experience! In Valladolid there are very few people who speak English, in fact the lady I was staying with took her first English class whilst I was staying with her. After spending a week constantly speaking in, and listening to, Spanish I think that my skills have really improved, hopefully I'll see the improvement after my speaking mock in the next week. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a way to improve their languages skills, and I would recommend that you stay with a family instead of a single person as there will naturally be more conversations, and make sure to try elements of the culture which you would not otherwise be able to- I tried 'gulas' which are baby eels!

If anyone has any questions or wants any advice about what to expect on this kind of trip, I'd be happy to help!:thumbsup:
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I went to an event at the NEC in Birmingham, called ‘What Career Live?/What Uni Live?’ which is quite similar to a UCAS fair in that there are lots of universities exhibiting, but there are also lots of companies that offer different school leavers options and apprenticeships. It gave me a chance to speak to some of the universities which I think I want to apply for (Nottingham, Manchester) without having to wait for their open days or the next UCAS fair in the area, but it also gave me the opportunity to speak to universities which I hadn’t considered before (Cardiff, Coventry) and see what other options are out there instead of going to university. I did find it quite difficult to see what options there would be for me apprenticeships wise, as I’m interested in studying modern languages and there aren’t very many opportunities in this area. Overall, I found the day really helpful- there was even a stand for people interested in studying in the United States. I would say that if you go to an even like this, pick and choose what you take from the stands as there’s no point getting prospectuses from universities that you have no intention of attending, and the same goes for apprenticeship providers. Make sure that you ask as many questions as you can, some providers will be much more helpful than others, but also make sure that you consider what options are out there that you haven’t thought about before. You might find something that you never would have considered before!
Hello everyone!

So I've had a few scores back from my mock exams but as it's a bit all over the place at the moment, I'll post them all together when I have them. I'm pretty happy with my results except I think I could have done better in English Lit, more on that later...

For now, we had our Spanish speaking mocks this week and I feel a little on the fence about it as even though my teacher said that I did well, I felt that I rambled a little bit but I definitely know that I need to work on my conjugations off the top of my head and revising the subjunctive triggers so fingers crossed that will be alright.

I spent a lot of time in the past week or so revising for the speaking so I hope that it's paid off, and I'm also glad I have a bit of time to relax this weekend. I'm going to an international education show on Sunday so that should be interesting. New posts soon!
So I forgot to mention the other day that I recently got my grade for the performing arts exam we did recently! It was an external unit (so it’s sent off to an examiner to mark) and we had to perform two contrasting monologues and write an essay on a practitioner and their work, all in relation to a statement that we were given.
I was really happy because I got a distinction for the unit (my score was 56/60) and it was the first distinction that I’ve ever gotten and now I just need to get distinctions in the other units and I should be on track to do really well! I just wanted to add this in here as I was really proud of finally getting a distinction and it’s given me so much motivation to really try my hardest to get those top grades.
Hello again,

Today I went to an Oxbridge Student Conference in Birmingham and I have mixed feelings. Obviously there’s not a problem with the universities it was just that there wasn’t a lot of space in the building for all of the students and it was a lot of stuff that you’d easily know if you’ve done your research already. That being said, I would recommend going to one as there are subject teachers there who can answer any niche questions as well as staff from both universities from careers/finance etc and it’s also a good way to see what some of the courses are structured like in a bit more detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending