The Student Room Group

whisper of the a-level student: a gyg blog

not quite whisper of the heart.jpg

Hi!

It definitely didn't take like almost an hour to come up with a blog name but here we are! Finally!

I'm going to attempt to update this regularly with my progress throughout Year 13, but considering the very minimal entries in the diary I was supposed to write weekly updates in during lockdown, I have no idea how far this is going to get lol

okay anyway so a bit about my studies so far...

subjects I'm studying

Spoiler

year 12 exam results

Spoiler

grades I'm hoping for

Spoiler

predicted grade bands

Spoiler

I'm hoping to go to a university to do a degree in English Literature/English with my 5 choices being Durham, Cambridge, York, Sheffield and Warwick

On top of having to get my application ready within a month, I'm also preparing to take my Advanced 1 ballet exam in December, and my driving test is looming ahead

I really hope that this blog helps with my studies, I'm sure that remembering that I should write something at least weekly (unless I have something I really need to get off my chest) motivates me to do some studying worth writing about!

I also plan on taking breaks from documenting my studies by keeping track of how many times I watch my favourite/comfort films as I'm sure my stress levels will call for a much needed rewatch!

Okay I guess that's all I have to say now! I was going to write about my first week of Year 13, but that can wait until later...

máni <3
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay so I'm back already to update what I've been up to/how I've found the first week of Year 13

(also I'm rewatching Ponyo right now so it's going to take forever to focus and type this up)

first week of school

Spoiler

also I'm super proud of myself because I've actually done all the homework that I've been given this past week so I can chill out over this weekend (hence watching Ponyo) but I do also have a driving lesson that I need to fit in
that's all for now!

máni <3
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by máni

Hi!

It definitely didn't take like almost an hour to come up with a blog name but here we are! Finally!

I'm going to attempt to update this regularly with my progress throughout Year 13, but considering the very minimal entries in the diary I was supposed to write weekly updates in during lockdown, I have no idea how far this is going to get lol

subjects I'm studying

Spoiler

year 12 exam results

Spoiler

grades I'm hoping for

Spoiler

predicted grade bands

Spoiler

I'm hoping to go to a university to do a degree in English Literature/English with my 5 choices being Durham, Cambridge, York, Sheffield and Warwick

On top of having to get my application ready within a month, I'm also preparing to take my Advanced 1 ballet exam in December, and my driving test is looming ahead

I really hope that this blog helps with my studies, I'm sure that remembering that I should write something at least weekly (unless I have something I really need to get off my chest) motivates me to do some studying worth writing about!

I also plan on taking breaks from documenting my studies by keeping track of how many times I watch my favourite/comfort films as I'm sure my stress levels will call for a much needed rewatch!

Okay I guess that's all I have to say now! I was going to write about my first week of Year 13, but that can wait until later...

máni <3

Good luck with your UCAS application 💗💗. I see you are a fellow Studio Ghibli fan, whats your favourite studio ghibli movie??
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by hat25
Good luck with your UCAS application 💗💗. I see you are a fellow Studio Ghibli fan, whats your favourite studio ghibli movie??

thank you!
my favourite studio ghibli film is whisper of the heart but howl's moving castle comes close!
to be honest I love all of the ghibli films (that I've watched so far) because they're sooo comforting
which one is your favourite???
Reply 4
OMG this is cute~ All the best with your journey this year and I'm commenting to follow along :h: !!!
Loving the comfort films too!! The few Ghibli movies I've watched so far are definitely so comforting (´∀`)♡
Please recommend some more AHH! I can tell you have #toptierTVtaste ~
Reply 5
Original post by enhaluvr
OMG this is cute~ All the best with your journey this year and I'm commenting to follow along :h: !!!
Loving the comfort films too!! The few Ghibli movies I've watched so far are definitely so comforting (´∀`)♡
Please recommend some more AHH! I can tell you have #toptierTVtaste ~

Thank you so much!!!
I'll definitely keep updating about all the movies (including ghibli ones) that I'll be watching to keep myself sane this year, so I'll throw in a few recommendations too!!
Original post by máni
Thank you so much!!!
I'll definitely keep updating about all the movies (including ghibli ones) that I'll be watching to keep myself sane this year, so I'll throw in a few recommendations too!!

You're a Ghibli fan??? OMG same!!! Are you going to be watching the boy and the heron??
Reply 7
Original post by toothysmile
You're a Ghibli fan??? OMG same!!! Are you going to be watching the boy and the heron??

I'm so glad that other Studio Ghibli fans have found this!!
I'm sooo excited for the boy and the heron so I am planning on watching it pretty much as soon as it gets released in the UK!
Original post by máni

Hi!

subjects I'm studying

Spoiler

year 12 exam results

Spoiler

grades I'm hoping for

Spoiler

predicted grade bands

Spoiler

máni <3

So good to hear that you're factoring in some downtime! It's so easy to get burnt out if you don't take the time to relax along the way.

I also love Ghibli! I have a real soft spot for My Neighbour Totoro, but Grave of the Fireflies is my all time favourite for sure. How cool that there are so many Ghibli fans here already!
Reply 9
Original post by Pwca
So good to hear that you're factoring in some downtime! It's so easy to get burnt out if you don't take the time to relax along the way.

I also love Ghibli! I have a real soft spot for My Neighbour Totoro, but Grave of the Fireflies is my all time favourite for sure. How cool that there are so many Ghibli fans here already!

I haven't seen grave of the fireflies yet, but it's on my watchlist! I'll have to try and find the time to watch it at some point during the holidays!
Original post by máni
I haven't seen grave of the fireflies yet, but it's on my watchlist! I'll have to try and find the time to watch it at some point during the holidays!

Ahhh I should warn you then, it's quite emotional!
Reply 11
Original post by máni
thank you!
my favourite studio ghibli film is whisper of the heart but howl's moving castle comes close!
to be honest I love all of the ghibli films (that I've watched so far) because they're sooo comforting
which one is your favourite???

My favourite Studio Ghibli movie is probably The Wind Rises and Castle in the Sky. I have yet to watch Whisper of the Heart but it's deffo on my list
Reply 12
Original post by Pwca
Ahhh I should warn you then, it's quite emotional!

yes I've heard that it's quite sad, I'll make sure to prepare myself with tissues when I finally watch it!

Original post by hat25
My favourite Studio Ghibli movie is probably The Wind Rises and Castle in the Sky. I have yet to watch Whisper of the Heart but it's deffo on my list

The wind rises is a good choice! It's been a while since I last watched castle in the sky, so I need to refresh my memory of it!
Reply 13
Hi!

I'm back again to update how the past week has gone for me, although I think I might try to update more regularly as this might end up being a bit long

second week of school

Spoiler

non-school related stuff

Spoiler

Okay I think that's everything important that's happened this week that I can think of, I'll probably try and update on Monday if there's anything interesting!

máni <3
Reply 14
Original post by máni
Hi!

I'm back again to update how the past week has gone for me, although I think I might try to update more regularly as this might end up being a bit long

second week of school

Spoiler

non-school related stuff

Spoiler

Okay I think that's everything important that's happened this week that I can think of, I'll probably try and update on Monday if there's anything interesting!

máni <3

Congrats on passing your driving test 💗💗
Reply 15
Original post by hat25
Congrats on passing your driving test 💗💗

Thank you!!
Reply 16
Okay, so I wasn't originally going to put anything on here today, but I though that it would probably be better for me to vent somewhere and it's an update for today so I guess it fits in here

Spoiler

tl;dr
basically I didn't have the best time in my French class today but it's okay and I'm sure I'll be able to get through it :smile:

Okie dokie well now that that's all off my chest I should actually go do some of my homework

máni <3
Reply 17
Hello again!

I've decided to do another update today about what happened today and yesterday, both of which went significantly better than Monday so sorry for just kind of dumping all of that there, I'm not sure if any of it made sense but anyways

Tuesday was great I love Tuesdays because I only have English Literature which is my favourite and I managed to get a bit more coursework done in my free periods

Today was also pretty good, I had French and English Language and they both went quite well we had some interesting discussions and in my free periods I did some more coursework surprise surprise but I also ended up chatting to one of my favourite teachers for like half an hour (oops) but it was good to have some time to relax

Tonight I'm going to watch The Great British Bake Off and then work on my personal statement so I'll update later!

máni <3
Original post by máni
Hello again!

I've decided to do another update today about what happened today and yesterday, both of which went significantly better than Monday so sorry for just kind of dumping all of that there, I'm not sure if any of it made sense but anyways

Tuesday was great I love Tuesdays because I only have English Literature which is my favourite and I managed to get a bit more coursework done in my free periods

Today was also pretty good, I had French and English Language and they both went quite well we had some interesting discussions and in my free periods I did some more coursework surprise surprise but I also ended up chatting to one of my favourite teachers for like half an hour (oops) but it was good to have some time to relax

Tonight I'm going to watch The Great British Bake Off and then work on my personal statement so I'll update later!

máni <3

I'm sorry to hear you had a difficult conversation with your French teacher. You're right, the timing and location there wasn't ideal, and it would probably be more helpful if she'd been a bit more solutions-focused. A lot can change between GCSEs and A-levels, including how confident you feel, and it sounds like you've got the determination and drive to push yourself when you need to.

Great you've got a bit of coursework done! What question are you working on for it?
Reply 19
Original post by Pwca
I'm sorry to hear you had a difficult conversation with your French teacher. You're right, the timing and location there wasn't ideal, and it would probably be more helpful if she'd been a bit more solutions-focused. A lot can change between GCSEs and A-levels, including how confident you feel, and it sounds like you've got the determination and drive to push yourself when you need to.

Great you've got a bit of coursework done! What question are you working on for it?

Thanks, and our French assistant has arrived so I'll be speaking to her this Friday which should help with my confidence too!

For my literature coursework I've decided to look at the passing of time which I'm finding interesting, but it's a bit of a challenge to find context/critics for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending