The Student Room Group

First year work experience

How to get some first year work experience.

Most firms do not have a structured application/do not communicate on first year internships, but if you have a look on LinkedIn there are a lot of people having interned at various firms. This is the first step, try to find places with previous interns in their first year as they will be more likely to do it again. Some firms actually have some structured first year programmes ie BoE, or programmes for any year very hidden, a Linkedin search will often reveal them.

Also do not apply to firms having some structured summer internships only for penultimate year+, it would just show a massive lack of attention to detail.

Now that you have identified a firm possibly recruiting interns, try to find an alumni who worked there, or someone who shares something in common (ie participated at an event/case study competition etc). Just do the typical networking, let them talk about themselves and ask few questions about the firm. If possible try to get them to have a f2f coffee meeting (harder if you are not based in London). I did 4 coffee meeting in an afternoon once when I was in London. They will sometimes come to say "do you want to see how we work", and offer you some work experience if you show strong interest/knowledge about their business.

Now that you know about the firm, know one guy working/who worked for the firm, you know what are YOUR PERSONAL motivations to work there and have an in-depth understanding of their business/strength. IE you like tech, and they are a tech focused boutique. DO NOT write generic cover letter saying how the industry is wonderful, you are not applying for BBs/EBs.

Once you know about your motivations feel free to ask either the HR email or in most cases you can find it online.

Write an email with

1) introduction to why the company, why you are reaching out to them, what you know about their business, name drop the person you talked to.

2)your motivations, what you can bring to the company, with explicit examples.

3) ask if you could have an insight into their business (remain vague about it)

4) say where they can contact you, and say that you attached your CV if they want to discuss anything about your profile.

Hopefully you should get a positive response, but remember to be flexible and be resilient after putting so much effort when being said no.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer the best I can but I wont disclose any firm name (The VC fund doesn't want me to put my internship there elsewhere than my CV). Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
nice work bud, thanks for the post too! :smile:
Original post by xtrembob

Great post mate! Really appreciated.
Reply 3
For those asking in PM, reach out to anything in Financial services, dont be picky about things. My CV is blank, can’t afford to say no because I wont do some proper DCF modelling.
I talked to people in VC, fintech startups, HF, management Consulting, and small boutiques. So far got stuff from a week to 5 week (depending on my availability).
Big firms care about things you have learnt and transferable skills. Name/prestige is bonus only.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending