The Student Room Group

Academic Nightmare:

(edited 9 months ago)
Do you have the savings to pay your tuition fees for the first year/two years of a new degree? You’ve used up 2 or 3 years (depending on whether your certhe spans more than one academic year) of funding now which means that you’re expected to enter year 2 of a degree.

Dropping out of an accounting degree and then taking a law CertHE seems an odd approach for someone interested in medicine (and is an odd choice for someone interested in law tbh). What is it drawing you to medicine - do you have any relevant work experience?
Original post by PQ
Do you have the savings to pay your tuition fees for the first year/two years of a new degree? You’ve used up 2 or 3 years (depending on whether your certhe spans more than one academic year) of funding now which means that you’re expected to enter year 2 of a degree.

Dropping out of an accounting degree and then taking a law CertHE seems an odd approach for someone interested in medicine (and is an odd choice for someone interested in law tbh). What is it drawing you to medicine - do you have any relevant work experience?

I’ve been told due to health reasons the first year won’t count and in funding it will be extended.. unsure what they meant if i’m completely honest.

The CertHe in Law I used Student Finance to pay for, alongside the accounting I dropped out of before that.

The medicine, if I was to do it, I would be finding myself and not using Student Finance.

Once i’ve figured out what i’m doing, i’d then start in Year 1 (most likely) at university, and if I had to pay for a year towards the end i’d just pay it and have the money saved just in case.

So, the story: Since I was younger I always wanted to work within the law or medicine. Medicine: when i was about 16 I doubt all the lectures and notes online for the first year of medical school and i’ve got a folder in storage with all hand written notes and diagrams i’ve drawn covering the entire syllabus for first year.. maybe this answers where my interests in medicine come from.

Law? Well.. I’ve had to sit through a fair few trials and predicaments with my own family and friends which meant I got to experience and see the background work of what a lawyer does and I really enjoyed the thought of it, so am doing the CertHE in Law.

Basically, going into investment banking.. i hit the realisation that it wasn’t a passion and was rather fuelled by watching too many films such as Wolf of Wall Street, and so dropped that (even tho I was doing well in exams - top 1%).

My main issue is i’m stuck between what to do, and don’t wanna waste too much time figuring it out so is a medicine access sensible to figure it out and compare the two or do i just go forward with law?

Hope this helps, appreciate your response too!!
Just to note that if there was any shortfall in student finance, you’d have to self fund for the first year, not the last.
Original post by Admit-One
Just to note that if there was any shortfall in student finance, you’d have to self fund for the first year, not the last.

Good to know, thank you!

Anything else you think I might need to know that could be helpful?

All is appreciated!
Original post by jxke08
Good to know, thank you!

Anything else you think I might need to know that could be helpful?

All is appreciated!

Nothing from an administrative POV. It sounds like you're a bit unsure as to what direction to take. You might benefit from getting some relevant work experience to see if medicine really is your calling.Then you can work out the best route to get there.

What level 3 quals (A-Levels etc) do you have and when did you complete them?
Original post by Admit-One
Nothing from an administrative POV. It sounds like you're a bit unsure as to what direction to take. You might benefit from getting some relevant work experience to see if medicine really is your calling.Then you can work out the best route to get there.

What level 3 quals (A-Levels etc) do you have and when did you complete them?

Maths, Chemistry, Biology: A*A*A and completed them in 2022
Original post by jxke08
Maths, Chemistry, Biology: A*A*A and completed them in 2022

A good start as the academic box is ticked and it's just about getting work experience and prep for the UCAT.
Original post by jxke08
I’ve been told due to health reasons the first year won’t count and in funding it will be extended.. unsure what they meant if i’m completely honest.

The CertHe in Law I used Student Finance to pay for, alongside the accounting I dropped out of before that.

The medicine, if I was to do it, I would be finding myself and not using Student Finance.

Once i’ve figured out what i’m doing, i’d then start in Year 1 (most likely) at university, and if I had to pay for a year towards the end i’d just pay it and have the money saved just in case.

So, the story: Since I was younger I always wanted to work within the law or medicine. Medicine: when i was about 16 I doubt all the lectures and notes online for the first year of medical school and i’ve got a folder in storage with all hand written notes and diagrams i’ve drawn covering the entire syllabus for first year.. maybe this answers where my interests in medicine come from.

Law? Well.. I’ve had to sit through a fair few trials and predicaments with my own family and friends which meant I got to experience and see the background work of what a lawyer does and I really enjoyed the thought of it, so am doing the CertHE in Law.

Basically, going into investment banking.. i hit the realisation that it wasn’t a passion and was rather fuelled by watching too many films such as Wolf of Wall Street, and so dropped that (even tho I was doing well in exams - top 1%).

My main issue is i’m stuck between what to do, and don’t wanna waste too much time figuring it out so is a medicine access sensible to figure it out and compare the two or do i just go forward with law?

Hope this helps, appreciate your response too!!

My concern reading this is that your “interest in medicine” is just that you have some interest in the first year lecture notes. You don’t say anything about wanting to work as a doctor, working in clinical environments, helping patients…the practical part of becoming a doctor is what is going to get you through an intense and practical degree.

and your comments about studying law are quite naive in terms of the academic study and career paths available. There’s no job of “lawyer” in the uk. Assuming that you’re interested in becoming a solicitor then taking a certhe in law wasn’t an ideal choice to make to find out more about the subject.

I would strongly recommend that you take some more time and work in a care and/or clinical environment for 6-12 months to work out if that’s what you want to do with your life. Pinballing from one HE course to another isn’t going to help. You need to work out what you want (and don’t want) from a career and work environment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending