The Student Room Group

Maths

PQRS is a rectangle
XY is parallel to PS
RY = 7cm
Area of Pqrs = 45cm ^2
Area of PXYS = 10cm^2
work out the value of a and b?

would anybody help me out ive tried to understand it however im unable to get grasp of what the question is.
Original post by lara36
PQRS is a rectangle
XY is parallel to PS
RY = 7cm
Area of Pqrs = 45cm ^2
Area of PXYS = 10cm^2

would anybody help me out ive tried to understand it however im unable to get grasp of what the question is.

Can you upload a picture or screenshot, because there is no a or b mentioned in the entire question apart from at the end...

Then I can help!
Reply 2
FF965117-C391-4876-855F-D7176953A52A.jpg.jpeg
Original post by lara36
PQRS is a rectangle
XY is parallel to PS
RY = 7cm
Area of Pqrs = 45cm ^2
Area of PXYS = 10cm^2

OK, I'll start you off. If you still can't do it, I'll post the solution.

If we know the area of the PQRS is 45cm^2, and that the area of PXYS is 10cm^2, then by simple subtraction we can calculate the area of QRXY.

45 - 10 = ? (You work this out)

Now, to get the area of a rectangle, we need the length of its 2 sides. We have a and 7.

Now form a simple equation to calculate a.

35 = 7a

Once you solve for a, form another equation to solve for b in the same fashion, using the area of the small rectangle XYPS.

Try to solve it now!
Reply 4
Original post by Mehru1214

If we know the area of the PQRS is 45cm^2, and that the area of PXYS is 10cm^2, then by simple subtraction we can calculate the area of QRXY.

Now, to get the area of a rectangle, we need the length of its 2 sides. We have a and 7.

35 = 7a

Once you solve for a, form another equation to solve for b in the same fashion, using the area of the small rectangle XYPS.

Try to solve it now!

Thank you so much ive done what you have said and have completed the answer
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lara36
Thank you so much ive done what you have said and have completed the answer

You're welcome!
Original post by Mehru1214

35 = 7a

Try to solve it now!

Hi I still can’t seem to work this out, it states to show my full working out but I don’t know how to structure it

Quick Reply

Latest