The Student Room Group

probability s1

why for this combinations question is 3! not used because the order obviously matters because it is a code

the answer is 4 * 3 *2

this is for question 2 i
http://mei.org.uk/files/papers/s108ja_leqa.pdf

why was 3! used for 4C3 but not for 4 * 3*2
i don't really understand combinations, when can they be used?
Original post by esmeralda123
why for this combinations question is 3! not used because the order obviously matters because it is a code

the answer is 4 * 3 *2

this is for question 2 i

Combinations do suck.

There are 4 ways of choosing the first letter, 3 the second and 2 the third (without replacement, as the letters have to be distinct) hence its 4*3*2.

That's not particularly convincing, so it may be worth revisiting the textbook or finding something online.

the answer is 4 * 3 *2

this is for question 2 i

For part (i) there can be no repetitions. So for the first letter you have 4 options, then for second letter you have 3 options, and for last letter you have 2 options. Thus by the product rule for counting, there are 432=244 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 = 24 possibilities. Alternatively, this is given by the function 4P3=4!(43)!4\mathrm{P}3 = \frac{4!}{(4-3)!}

It cannot be 3! because this number simply represents the number of ways you can arrange 3 letters. It doesn't say anything about the fact that you can choose from 4 objects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Doesn't say that the order matters, so it doesn't.

For part (i) there can be no repetitions. So for the first letter you have 4 options, then for second letter you have 3 options, and for last letter you have 2 options. Thus by the product rule for counting, there are 432=244 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 = 24 possibilities. Alternatively, this is given by the function 4P3=4!(43)!4\mathrm{P}3 = \frac{4!}{(4-3)!}

It cannot be 3! because this number simply represents the number of ways you can arrange 3 letters. It doesn't say anything about the fact that you can choose from 4 objects.

but aren't permutations used when order matters?
they should have made the question clearer by including

"for instance the codes AGC and CAG are distinct"

:mad:
but aren't permutations used when order matters?

Yes. Got distracted and didnt mean to say that it doesnt matter. So it does, hence you can use permutation function.

But yeah it would’ve been nice if they made this clearer
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
Yes. Got distracted and didnt mean to say that it doesnt matter. So it does, hence you can use permutation function.

But yeah it would’ve been nice if they made this clearer

so why couldn't 3! be used if order did matter?
so why couldn't 3! be used if order did matter?

It doesnt say anything about the fact that you have 4 objects to choose from.

You can say that it is 4C3*3! but this is precisely just 4P3
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest