The Student Room Group

English

Does anyone have any phrases or tips that I can use to remember the meanings of nouns, adverbs, adjectives and verbs? I’m really struggling to get them to stick in my head!

Thank you!!
Original post by powiful
Does anyone have any phrases or tips that I can use to remember the meanings of nouns, adverbs, adjectives and verbs? I’m really struggling to get them to stick in my head!

Thank you!!

See if this helps

Nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs

Noun A noun is a word used to name a thing, a person, a place etc. As a general rule, it is something that you can put the word ‘the’ in front of. E.g. chair, person, house, weather, moon, river, plate etc…

Adjective An adjective is a word used to describe a noun. E.g. sharp, fluffy, warm, dry, expensive, funny, fast, huge etc…

Verb A verb is a ‘doing word’. It is a word that describes what someone or something is doing. E.g. run, spin, sleep, jump, fall, climb, draw, watch, swim etc…

Adverb An adverb is a word that describes how something is done. They are a bit like adjectives but describe verbs instead of nouns. They quite often end in –ly. E.g. quickly, gently, noisily, kindly, carefully, angrily etc…

Prepared by juliannebrittonCreated: Jun 22, 2011| Updated: Apr 10, 2017
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
See if this helps

Nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs

Noun A noun is a word used to name a thing, a person, a place etc. As a general rule, it is something that you can put the word ‘the’ in front of. E.g. chair, person, house, weather, moon, river, plate etc…

Adjective An adjective is a word used to describe a noun. E.g. sharp, fluffy, warm, dry, expensive, funny, fast, huge etc…

Verb A verb is a ‘doing word’. It is a word that describes what someone or something is doing. E.g. run, spin, sleep, jump, fall, climb, draw, watch, swim etc…

Adverb An adverb is a word that describes how something is done. They are a bit like adjectives but describe verbs instead of nouns. They quite often end in –ly. E.g. quickly, gently, noisily, kindly, carefully, angrily etc…

Prepared by juliannebrittonCreated: Jun 22, 2011| Updated: Apr 10, 2017

Thank you! This is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending