The Student Room Group

Studying in the US - UCLA

Recently I have been interested in studying abroad in the US to do film, I currently have an offer from The American International University in Richmond to study for 2 years in London and go to Los Angeles for the last year.

However, I thought that if I'm so interested in studying abroad, why not go and do the whole course out there. I'm not too bothered about the tuition fees as to me, debt is debt, and I also feel like I would want to live out there but I was wondering that if I wanted to do a course like this (http://www.tft.ucla.edu/programs/film-tv-digital-media-department/undergraduate-degrees/ba-undergraduate-film/) how would I go about getting in and what would I need?
Unless you have a lot of money to pay for UCLA, then there's no point. If you need financial aid, look at universities that have good financial aid for international students. (If you're looking in California: the Claremont colleges [Claremont Mckenna, Pitzer, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, etc], Occidental College. There are loads of unis that offer financial aid for international students). You are not eligible for federal student loans, you will probably have to take it out privately (I don't have a lot of information).

From UCLA website:

UCLA does not award scholarships or financial aid to undergraduate students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. International students must prove that they have sufficient funds available to them to pay for their educational and living expenses. For example, students admitted to Fall Quarter 2018 will need a minimum of about $63,000 (with an additional $5,000 recommended for additional personal expenses, contingencies and summer expenses). This minimum amount usually grows each year.

So that is $252,000 for four years.
Original post by theholychilli
Unless you have a lot of money to pay for UCLA, then there's no point. If you need financial aid, look at universities that have good financial aid for international students. (If you're looking in California: the Claremont colleges [Claremont Mckenna, Pitzer, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, etc], Occidental College. There are loads of unis that offer financial aid for international students). You are not eligible for federal student loans, you will probably have to take it out privately (I don't have a lot of information).

From UCLA website:

So that is $252,000 for four years.

Jesus, I did not think about the substantial difference in fees. Thank you :smile:
Original post by JoshuaKing00
Jesus, I did not think about the substantial difference in fees. Thank you :smile:

No problem! Yeah it's quite a lot ahaha, but if you are interested in studying in the states for a full 4 years, there are many great unis and liberal arts colleges in the US that give amazing and really generous financial aid to international students (as long as you are a very good applicant), and sometimes you can even graduate with little or no debt (little = still less than UK). Check my post history for more info about studying in the US and applying :smile:
Original post by theholychilli
No problem! Yeah it's quite a lot ahaha, but if you are interested in studying in the states for a full 4 years, there are many great unis and liberal arts colleges in the US that give amazing and really generous financial aid to international students (as long as you are a very good applicant), and sometimes you can even graduate with little or no debt (little = still less than UK). Check my post history for more info about studying in the US and applying :smile:

Many thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending