The Student Room Group

questions about Healthcare science (life science)

Hiya, I am planning to do Healthcare science (life science) as it is a more direct route to becoming a biomedical scientist, however, I've noticed that not a lot of unis do the course and some seem to have dropped it (like herts and manchester met). Why is that (idk it might be to do with the nhs and funding)?

From what I know University of Bradford and Cardiff met are the only unis that i can apply directly to the course. Sunderland, UCLa and Staffordshire require a year in the biomed course, passing first year then an interview to be able to switch. Are there any other universities that do the course?
Original post by oilfordinner
Hiya, I am planning to do Healthcare science (life science) as it is a more direct route to becoming a biomedical scientist, however, I've noticed that not a lot of unis do the course and some seem to have dropped it (like herts and manchester met). Why is that (idk it might be to do with the nhs and funding)?

From what I know University of Bradford and Cardiff met are the only unis that i can apply directly to the course. Sunderland, UCLa and Staffordshire require a year in the biomed course, passing first year then an interview to be able to switch. Are there any other universities that do the course?

If @RegisteredBMS is about they might have some more info about that - the impression I got is that a lot of those courses shifted to an apprenticeship format instead as it served the needs of the NHS trusts better? There then wasn't a need (nor availability of placements) for a separate degree course. I think a lot of the apprenticeships are still run in partnership with the same unis, it's just you apply to the NHS trust through their apprenticeship application process rather than through UCAS to a uni (however I think some are now targeted at existing NHS staff e.g. current MLAs and such).

Ultimately where you do the course isn't that important in terms of "employability" as it's fully accredited and includes the placements to register with the HCPC and so as with other allied health professions areas, the NHS doesn't care where you studied, just that you have the appropriately accredited qualifications and registrations.

That said, you may need to look at postings from across the country when you graduate to ensure you get into an appropriate job. If you are limited in location for both the course and for work you may find that even if the course was available nearby, there may not be any local positions when you graduate (even if there are positions nationally elsewhere). Something to consider!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending