The Student Room Group

Dropping GCSE Business and taking up GCSE Sociology (not an option at my school)

HiI'm finding Business Studies really boring and the WJEC Syllabus really difficult, and although in my tests, I achieved a grade 6 and grade 7, I really find it so complex and have extreme difficulty revising and have to really spend hours and hours to be able to do well, and at one point, I had 3 other tests, and had to spend 80% of my time revising for BusinessI like my teacher, but he is very bland. He only dictates and we copy down what he says, which is really difficult for me to comprehend, and he can't really change as after 25 years of teaching, he can't adapt.So I would really like to drop Business, and instead take up GCSE Sociology, of which is not a subject option at my school, but I was wandering whether I could go to the library at the lessons where I would be doing Business and study Sociology. Can I do this? If anyone has any experience with this please let me know..I'm in Year 10ThanksT
Reply 1
Original post by tedholbrook
HiI'm finding Business Studies really boring and the WJEC Syllabus really difficult, and although in my tests, I achieved a grade 6 and grade 7, I really find it so complex and have extreme difficulty revising and have to really spend hours and hours to be able to do well, and at one point, I had 3 other tests, and had to spend 80% of my time revising for BusinessI like my teacher, but he is very bland. He only dictates and we copy down what he says, which is really difficult for me to comprehend, and he can't really change as after 25 years of teaching, he can't adapt.So I would really like to drop Business, and instead take up GCSE Sociology, of which is not a subject option at my school, but I was wandering whether I could go to the library at the lessons where I would be doing Business and study Sociology. Can I do this? If anyone has any experience with this please let me know..I'm in Year 10ThanksT

You would need to ask your school, but it's unlikely to be possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You would need to ask your school, but it's unlikely to be possible.

Why do you think it’s unlikely ?
Reply 3
Why do you think it’s unlikely ?

Because they don't offer the subject
Because you wouldn't get any supervision during the lessons (it's not fair to expect library staff to do more work) and so could mess around
Because they don't have anyone to offer feedback eg mark essays
Ditto coursework if there is any
Because you can't study independently for business, so you're not going to cope with a different subject
Because you need a certain amount of lessons to qualify for funding and you're going to drop below that
Because it will be very expensive for them to offer an exam just for one person
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Because they don't offer the subject
Because you wouldn't get any supervision during the lessons (it's not fair to expect library staff to do more work) and so could mess around
Because they don't have anyone to offer feedback eg mark essays
Ditto coursework if there is any
Because you can't study independently for business, so you're not going to cope with a different subject
Because you need a certain amount of lessons to qualify for funding and you're going to drop below that
Because it will be very expensive for them to offer an exam just for one person

No I meant that I will self teach my self and i could do it in the study room. I could be an external candidate at a different school maybe?
Reply 5
No I meant that I will self teach my self and i could do it in the study room. I could be an external candidate at a different school maybe?

And which problem does that solve? You're still self teaching which you've struggled to do before, you're still not having supervision, and you're still not having anyone to offer feedback.
Reply 6
I have never struggled to self teach Business?? I just do not enjoy the subject and find it difficult. All other subjects i’m doing well in
Reply 7
I have never struggled to self teach Business?? I just do not enjoy the subject and find it difficult. All other subjects i’m doing well in

But you are struggling, because you're having lessons and still spending far too much time on the subject. If you took up a new subject you'd have months of work to catch up on and wouldn't have any lessons. You're saying your business lessons are awful, but that's still better than no lesson at all.

Quick Reply

Latest