The Student Room Group

need help choosing a level options!

hi! i need to decide my a level options within the next couple days. I am thinking of Psychology which i'm ready to put in the work for, and English literature which i think i'm decent? at. i got A* for it at GCSE as we have done the exams for it already.

I'm just not sure what to choose for my next one, as we need to choose 3 subjects. im thinking of food and nutrition or business however not sure.. has anybody taken either and enjoyed them? and are they a levels worth taking?
Another option we are given is health and social care, it is at diploma level and i was told it was quite laid back so im kind of leaning towards it as well but any advice would be great :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by congested-boar
hi! i need to decide my a level options within the next couple days. I am thinking of Psychology which i'm ready to put in the work for, and English literature which i think i'm decent? at. i got A* for it at GCSE as we have done the exams for it already.

I'm just not sure what to choose for my next one, as we need to choose 3 subjects. im thinking of food and nutrition or business however not sure.. has anybody taken either and enjoyed them? and are they a levels worth taking?
Another option we are given is health and social care, it is at diploma level and i was told it was quite laid back so im kind of leaning towards it as well but any advice would be great :smile:

I did A level business for a year and dropped it because I wanted to go into medicine. If I wanted to do business I could still, because I was already taking maths. So I would not take business unless you want to go do business at uni and don't like maths. The subject is quite boring at A levels and is just a repetition of GCSE with more content. Congrats on your A in lit! Be warned though, A-level lit is a huge step-up. Every single one of my friends who took A level lit also got an A* (including one of my friends who got the highest mark in the world) in GCSE lit but this year the A level grade boundaries were unforgiving. Half of the A level lit takers got a B and one mark away from an A. Everyone applied for remarking and no one got their grade raised. Coursework is very heavy, 40+ poems, 2+ books, and much more. If you are confident, by all means do lit. Ultimately, choose the subjects you think can steer you to the direction you are leaning towards for uni and that you enjoy.

Deciding your A Levels depends on what you want to do at university. Degree courses will have specific criteria, if you’re not interested in going to uni then choose whichever subjects you will enjoy

Hi! This is just my personal experience, so I would definitely recommend considering your interests, plans for Uni/future work and academic strengths first and foremost. I'm currently nearing the end of my second year, studying psychology sociology and business. I chose these because I was interested in psychology, sociology seemed to go with it and business was honestly just a random third choice. I am so glad that I chose them because all three complement each other really well and have lots of overlap, especially psychology and sociology. I've found business the hardest of the three, but I still get As, just with a little more effort. I think this is just because I'm not as interested in it as I am the others, so if you are definitely interested in business, I think it's a great choice. I do think sociology would be a really good option for you as well, based on your interest in psychology and success in English. My psychology knowledge has been really useful in sociology, and so I've pretty much breezed through it (A*s throughout the course) and you must be good at writing if you did so well in English, so I think you would do well in sociology, given that it is mostly essay-based. I would recommend looking into both of these subjects and considering which one you are more interested in, as A-Levels can be tough, and you are unlikely to succeed if you don't care about the subject. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest