The Student Room Group

a-level options

I’m currently in yr11, and picking my options for a-level. I want to do law in the end, and so have been mostly picking humanities subjects for open evenings etc (English Lit, Modern History and Geography). However, my physics teacher keeps telling me to rethink , and said that it would be ‘a waste’ if i don’t take any STEM subjects. I do like Physics, but feel like it would be a waste as I want to do law at Uni. I could do an AS level in physics, but worry that it would distract from my other subjects. Any advice would be amazing x
Original post by Camari3mber
I’m currently in yr11, and picking my options for a-level. I want to do law in the end, and so have been mostly picking humanities subjects for open evenings etc (English Lit, Modern History and Geography). However, my physics teacher keeps telling me to rethink , and said that it would be ‘a waste’ if i don’t take any STEM subjects. I do like Physics, but feel like it would be a waste as I want to do law at Uni. I could do an AS level in physics, but worry that it would distract from my other subjects. Any advice would be amazing x

Hiya English Lit and Modern History honestly sound like amazing subjects for law! I think as long as you have English Lit and History, it is up to you what other subject you want to pick - so feel free to do Physics if you enjoy it! Pick subjects that you know you will enjoy and will also help you in Law!
Reply 2
i personally believe that you should take the subjects you most enjoy, as you will be spending a lot of your time studying something and you will be miserable if you pick subjects that you don't love! also seeing as you have an idea of what you would like to study at uni, your options seem like good choices!

that being said, taking a stem subject would leave your options more open, so if you happen to change your mind you aren't trapped with only a few university pathways - a levels are very different to gcses, and if you had asked me what i wanted to study in year 11 i would have given you a very different answer to now!

does your school let you take four a levels? if so, then i recommend starting the year off with the four you mentioned, and then you can see which ones you enjoy least and would want to drop - alternatively, you could attempt to do the full four a levels, or take one to as level and drop it after year 12 (if that is how it works in your school)

good luck in your gcses!
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
Hiya English Lit and Modern History honestly sound like amazing subjects for law! I think as long as you have English Lit and History, it is up to you what other subject you want to pick - so feel free to do Physics if you enjoy it! Pick subjects that you know you will enjoy and will also help you in Law!

thanks sm, I just need to make up my mind on subjects lol
Reply 4
Original post by fox473
i personally believe that you should take the subjects you most enjoy, as you will be spending a lot of your time studying something and you will be miserable if you pick subjects that you don't love! also seeing as you have an idea of what you would like to study at uni, your options seem like good choices!

that being said, taking a stem subject would leave your options more open, so if you happen to change your mind you aren't trapped with only a few university pathways - a levels are very different to gcses, and if you had asked me what i wanted to study in year 11 i would have given you a very different answer to now!

does your school let you take four a levels? if so, then i recommend starting the year off with the four you mentioned, and then you can see which ones you enjoy least and would want to drop - alternatively, you could attempt to do the full four a levels, or take one to as level and drop it after year 12 (if that is how it works in your school)

good luck in your gcses!

thanks for the advice :smile:. I probably will think about a Physics as level, cause its all good for UCAS and leaves my options open
Original post by Camari3mber

Hi there

For most Law degrees, Universities accept any A level subjects. It is great that you are considering English, History and Geography. Essay based subjects can be really helpful in preparing you for a law degree.

Regarding Physics, if you are good and interested in the topic you could definitely substitute it to one of humanities subjects. (In my opinion 1 or 2 essay based subjects are sufficient to enhance your essay writing skills.) I am currently a law student, but I took mainly STEM subjects at A levels (so taking physics does not reduce your chances of being accepted into law).

Alternatively, choosing physics as an AS level can certainly be tangible. If you do find yourself struggling a little, you could always drop out of it.

I hope this helps, good luck with your GCSEs.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 6
It doesn't matter what you pick for Law - all you need is three high grades.

Its worth taking at least one essay based subject - useful for reading/text/analysis skills, and for LNAT, so Politics, Sociology, History etc are worthwhile but not essential. It makes sense to pick the subjects you will enjoy studying the most and where you feel confident of top grades. And go to Uni Open Days - make sure you understand what a Law degree involves, before you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest