The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Hall Fire Alarm

Does anyone know what will be the penalty if I was caught for not evacuating from hall when the firm alarm rang? Will I be able to appeal for the penalty? Thank you.
Original post by Phoebe Leung
Does anyone know what will be the penalty if I was caught for not evacuating from hall when the firm alarm rang? Will I be able to appeal for the penalty? Thank you.

Depends in your handbook and their table of fines. If you had good reason, then you may escape with a warning or t may be £50? Be on the low end. You can appeal if you have good grounds to appeal.

Its for your own good you follow the fire alarm procedure. have you been told you are to be sanctioned?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by 999tigger
Depends in your handbook and their table of fines. If you had good reason, then you may escape with a warning or t may be £50? Be on the low end. You can appeal if you have good grounds to appeal.

Its for your own good you follow the fire alarm procedure. have you been told you are to be sanctioned?

Actually I'm an international exchange student for this semester only. And I don't know clearly about the rules. The firm alarm always ring (several times a week) and it is so annoying. I think it is a bit non sense for me to escape every time.

On that day, the staff rushed into my room when the firm alarm rang and told me that I will be punished, but she didn't told me how it would be, actually I was sleeping at that time.

The handbook only mention the fines for making the firm alarm ring but no any punishment for not evacuating from the hall.
Actually I'm an international exchange student for this semester only. And I don't know clearly about the rules. The firm alarm always ring (several times a week) and it is so annoying. I think it is a bit non sense for me to escape every time.

On that day, the staff rushed into my room when the firm alarm rang and told me that I will be punished, but she didn't told me how it would be, actually I was sleeping at that time.

The handbook only mention the fines for making the firm alarm ring but no any punishment for not evacuating from the hall.

You really should have left, even though its a bind. Say you realise that, but that there have been so many false alarms with students setting them off and will do so in future.

If you add in you are an exchange student then they might just stop with a warning or maybe they wont even pursue it.

State your case, be apologetic and hope thats enough for just a warning. If you get worried contact a student adviser in the SU or even talk to your hall manager. I'm assuming it was a warden who said it?
Reply 4

And what happens when there actually is a fire?

If the alarms rings (and it's not a prescheduled alarm test, which they propably have the same time/day each week) then you should follow the emergency procedure. Yes it's a pain, but you are putting yourself at risk by not doing so.

That said, and given you are a temporary international student, it's unlikely they will do anything this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending