The Student Room Group

fear of fire alarms and anxiety won't let me sleep

our student accom fire alarms are very loud and ive heard from 2nd years who used to live in my building it goes off around 20 times the first few months... the anxiety it can go off again is scary... how can i cope?

i have headphones, but i don't know if they're enough... please, i want to sleep anxiety-free...
Are they fire drills or is it going of unexpectedly because if they're drills you could ask whoever is in charge of the accommodation to let you know when it's going to happen. If not you could maybe try some earplugs, the loop earplugs are meant to be really good.
Original post by flutters.mp4
our student accom fire alarms are very loud and ive heard from 2nd years who used to live in my building it goes off around 20 times the first few months... the anxiety it can go off again is scary... how can i cope?

i have headphones, but i don't know if they're enough... please, i want to sleep anxiety-free...

Hi @flutters.mp4,

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Is it the sound that gives you anxiety? Or something else?

I suggest you speak with your concierge and ask for the drill schedule. Most accommodations typically will let you know the specific days and when during the day it will go off. Perhaps if it's just a drill, you could politely let them know that it's keeping you up late at night and causing you intense anxiety. I'm sure they will take your concern seriously as it relates to your wellbeing.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Are they fire drills or is it going of unexpectedly because if they're drills you could ask whoever is in charge of the accommodation to let you know when it's going to happen. If not you could maybe try some earplugs, the loop earplugs are meant to be really good.

smoke detectors that can activate the fire alarm building-wide...
You shouldn't really wear headphones or earplugs anyway, as the whole point is that if there is a genuine fire you need to evacuate.

They're loud for a reason - to make sure if you are asleep and there is a genuine fire you are woken up!
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
You shouldn't really wear headphones or earplugs anyway, as the whole point is that if there is a genuine fire you need to evacuate.

They're loud for a reason - to make sure if you are asleep and there is a genuine fire you are woken up!

Sure they're loud, but they're scary... it keeps replaying in my head and I just wanna sleep without it scaring the absolute living daylight out of me... the suspense literally is my insomnia
Reply 6
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @flutters.mp4,

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Is it the sound that gives you anxiety? Or something else?

I suggest you speak with your concierge and ask for the drill schedule. Most accommodations typically will let you know the specific days and when during the day it will go off. Perhaps if it's just a drill, you could politely let them know that it's keeping you up late at night and causing you intense anxiety. I'm sure they will take your concern seriously as it relates to your wellbeing.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

It's how loud it is and the suspense that it can happen at anytime, and it will ring extremely loudly out of nowhere... I don't like it...

Quick Reply

Latest