The Student Room Group

Very Silly Fire Alarm Question

I am not at all familiar with fire alarms as we didn't have any in our house back in my country. I moved into a dorm recently and the fire alarm in my room went off suddenly on two occasions, but I wasn't even cooking anything, neither did I use the shower.

Since each room in our dorm is fitted with one, do all alarms go off when there's smoke in any of the rooms or just the room where the alarm could've been triggered? I couldn't find anything on this online so I HAD to ask here before I ask the authorities to check the batteries in mine. I know this question seems stupid, but I am clueless.

Thank you!
If it only went off very briefly then it may just have been a warning that the batteries needing replacing.

If it's wired to the mains then I would probably report it in case it's a fault and needs testing.
Original post by Vanixsn
I am not at all familiar with fire alarms as we didn't have any in our house back in my country. I moved into a dorm recently and the fire alarm in my room went off suddenly on two occasions, but I wasn't even cooking anything, neither did I use the shower.

Since each room in our dorm is fitted with one, do all alarms go off when there's smoke in any of the rooms or just the room where the alarm could've been triggered? I couldn't find anything on this online so I HAD to ask here before I ask the authorities to check the batteries in mine. I know this question seems stupid, but I am clueless.

Thank you!

Hi there,
Not a silly question at all, fire safety is very important. If the fire alarm goes off in your room and it is not a scheduled test, it usually means that it has been set off elsewhere in your building and you should evacuate and head to your fire assembly point. Your accommodation team will swiftly deal with any alarm, whether it is a fire or a false alarm. If the alarm originated in your room and you were not cooking etc. then your accommodation team may look into this, as it could be a fault.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 3
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
Not a silly question at all, fire safety is very important. If the fire alarm goes off in your room and it is not a scheduled test, it usually means that it has been set off elsewhere in your building and you should evacuate and head to your fire assembly point. Your accommodation team will swiftly deal with any alarm, whether it is a fire or a false alarm. If the alarm originated in your room and you were not cooking etc. then your accommodation team may look into this, as it could be a fault.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Thank you so much!

I usually evacuate, but the recent alarms in my room at 2 am were very confusing.
Reply 4
Thank you, I think I need to chat with the accommodation team about the batteries. The alarms went off for less than 10 seconds at 2 am each time. :/

Original post by Admit-One
If it only went off very briefly then it may just have been a warning that the batteries needing replacing.

If it's wired to the mains then I would probably report it in case it's a fault and needs testing.
Original post by Vanixsn
Thank you, I think I need to chat with the accommodation team about the batteries. The alarms went off for less than 10 seconds at 2 am each time. :/

Yeah, deffo report it. In my experience a battery warning is usually a loud "PIP" but I would not take any chances with regards to fire alarms.

Plus it's likely to continue and be annoying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending