The Student Room Group

Why does managing a house whilst going to university and having a job seem amazing?/

I'm 22, I go to university full-time, I rent a three-bedroom house, live by myself and have a part-time job. When everyone asks about my life they say it's amazing that I can do this at my age, this is a comment that comes up a lot. I don't find it offensive but I do find it curious as to why it's amazing. I thought it's normal but I would love to know people's thoughts on why it's amazing.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm 22, I go to university full-time, I rent a three-bedroom house, live by myself and have a part-time job. When everyone asks about my life they say it's amazing that I can do this at my age, this is a comment that comes up a lot. I don't find it offensive but I do find it curious as to why it's amazing. I thought it's normal but I would love to know people's thoughts on why it's amazing.

Honestly, I think this is because you are a full time student, you work and you pay rent as well so this to other people shows that you are doing a lot at once. What I mean is, you got to University but still take out time to do other things as well.
It shows that you are very proactive (which is very positive)
Many other University students would maybe find it difficult so it shows that you are a hardworking person
Also I think because you are managing all of this quite well at a young age, people find this Amazing

:smile:
Because most people at that age don't have the money to put down a deposit on a house and get a mortgage to buy it and then rent it out to someone else to pay your mortgage for you, while still having enough money to live in another place.

Life tends to be a bit easier when you have the capital up front to start things off.
Because most students can barely manage living in halls without things going off the rails.
Original post by Admit-One
Because most students can barely manage living in halls without things going off the rails.

PRSOM - that too!

On multiple occasions when I was in halls way back when I'd get back after a day of lectures and find the kitchen to be boiling and 2 of the burners had just been left on indefinitely because other people had used them and forgotten to turn them off...amazed we never had a fire in our flat (although we had enough fire alarms in the building generally for me to suspect they were common in others...).
do u mean letting out a house, or renting it off someone?
in either case, most UK students are pretty immature and society/ parents don't expect enough of young adults
Struggling with university was hard enough for me that I considered dropping out multiple times so in my eyes that would be impossible.

Everyones experience of something is different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending