The Student Room Group

Is it out of order to report my flatmates?

I’m in halls, coming up on my last two weeks. My two flatmates that have yet to move out are generally alright, but we aren’t close or anything. They sorted out their own house for next year with people from their courses together, and the rest of us decided to stay together after finding that out. Anyways, the situation is, my uni has strict rules and fines regarding fire safety, for good reason. One of these flatmates almost got fined £200 last week for being found to having covered her smoke detector, but got away with a warning. However, now, the hallway keeps smelling really intensely of incense, the strong sandalwood ones, which makes me worry about a fire starting and her smoke detector not going off. Ordinarily I’d be happy to ignore since it is the last two weeks, but she’s generally inconsiderate of the rest of us, and has twice invited herself along on my dates!! What should I do????
Reply 1
Incense is not likely to begin a fire but you should report the matter to your hall rep. They can come along, and smell it for themselves without dropping you in it.
I agree, it's probably best to approach a hall rep/any person responsible for looking after your halls. You don't have to frame it too negatively or accuse anyone of anything - just say you have some concerns about whether or not the smoke detector is working, and let them double check it for you.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending