The Student Room Group

Vaping in College Toilets

Hey, so I was vaping in the college toilet (I study Level 2 Construction and it’s basically become the cultural norm in construction). I’ve been doing it in there for a while but it set off the fire alarm yesterday and everyone had to be evacuated. I started to lie to myself about it originally but after the teacher said they’d check the cctv I owned up and even went to the college head and owned up to it, not telling a single lie and being completely honest about it. Even by admitting that it was my fault and nobody else’s, they rung my mum and invited me for a meeting, and afterwards as I was leaving I said “Even if I do get kicked out, thank you for everything”, Last year a student did the same (but they lied and it took the staff team a lot of time and effort wasted to find out the truth) and was asked to leave the sixth form so I was wondering if I’d get off with a couple days exclusion or if I’d be allowed to come back in after paying a fine or some sort, thanks for your help!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hopefully the early confession will be a mitigating circumstance you can use, plus throw in lots of remorse. Mind you, it doesn’t take a genius to suss it was the cctv threat that was the motivation for owning up, rather than honesty. Were the rules and punishment consequences made very clear in advance. If so I would expect them to follow though, the disruption of a fire alarm is significant. See if you can get some legal advise or other representation to come up with additional mitigation
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zarek
Hopefully the early confession will be a mitigating circumstance you can use, plus throw in lots of remorse. Mind you, it doesn’t take a genius to suss it was the cctv threat that was the motivation for owning up, rather than honesty. Were the rules and punishment consequences made very clear in advance. If so I would expect them to follow though, the disruption of a fire alarm is significant. See if you can get some legal advise or other representation to come up with additional mitigation

They never outlined any rules & punishment regarding what I did
Reply 3
Original post by TumpyTulipz
They never outlined any rules & punishment regarding what I did

This might also help your defence. I imagine there was probably signage somewhere banning vaping in the building and a reasonable understanding that it wasn’t allowed, despite the culture
Original post by Zarek
This might also help your defence. I imagine there was probably signage somewhere banning vaping in the building and a reasonable understanding that it wasn’t allowed, despite the culture

I luckily didn’t get expelled because of my previous behaviour and how long I was at the school the college is connected to previously
Reply 5
Original post by TumpyTulipz
I luckily didn’t get expelled because of my previous behaviour and how long I was at the school the college is connected to previously

Good news. Give up that terrible habit though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending