The Student Room Group

Help! I'm cat-sitting and the cat has stopped eating and drinking

So, I'm looking after my Mum's cat while they are on holiday and he arrived last night. Lovely ginger moggy, seems quite young and was stray, we think he is male but not entirely sure(!). He's probably the most affectionate cat I've ever known - lets me pet him for hours on end and then sleeps on the bottom of my bed.

Problem is...he won't eat. Or drink. I've tried cat biscuits, wet food, roast chicken pieces, water, milk - nada. Sniffs it and walks away, and it's been 24 hours now. I've tried hand-feeding him, warming chicken up for him, taking him where he is comfortable (which is either my room or the airing cupboard, where he sits on massive piles of towels) - no luck.

He is walking around the house "exploring" and then usually falls asleep on one of the beds. I don't think he is depressed or distressed, but maybe .. anxious? Unsettled?

What do I do?
Reply 1
Maybe he is stressed or misses your mum, give him time he'll eat eventually
Reply 2
Original post by AmyJ
So, I'm looking after my Mum's cat while they are on holiday and he arrived last night. Lovely ginger moggy, seems quite young and was stray, we think he is male but not entirely sure(!). He's probably the most affectionate cat I've ever known - lets me pet him for hours on end and then sleeps on the bottom of my bed.

Problem is...he won't eat. Or drink. I've tried cat biscuits, wet food, roast chicken pieces, water, milk - nada. Sniffs it and walks away, and it's been 24 hours now. I've tried hand-feeding him, warming chicken up for him, taking him where he is comfortable (which is either my room or the airing cupboard, where he sits on massive piles of towels) - no luck.

He is walking around the house "exploring" and then usually falls asleep on one of the beds. I don't think he is depressed or distressed, but maybe .. anxious? Unsettled?

What do I do?

Leave some food out in a place he seems comfortable. Wait until tomorrow and see how he's doing and if he's eaten anything. If he hasn't you might want to call the vet because cats can do this thing where they don't eat cos they're ill or stressed and then they forget to start again.
It's probably that he's a bit unsettled, but with cats them not eating is an issue in itself regardless of the cause.
If he does start acting funny call the vet right away.

Maybe phone mum too and see if she has any tips. With my cat a little bit of butter would remind her food is a good thing and get her eating again if she was a bit stressed. Maybe your mum know something that would work for him.

Good luck. Try not to worry. All this call the vet stuff is just to make sure things don't get bad cos cats are a bit... special.
I would just leave food available for the moment and think he will eat when hungry.
If he’s not hiding then don’t worry too much.
Try different types of food - such as tuna or some proper meat instead of kibble. Sometimes the problem is with their teeth, in which case soft food is easier to eat. Soya milk is good too as it gets lots of nutrients into the cat without the lactose they are intolerant of. Hope he (or maybe she!) feels better soon!
Have you tried the cat treats?
Reply 7
So, 'Ginger' has been roaming around upstairs, sitting in various wardrobes, on top of cupboards and windowsills, even in the bath!

I waited for an opportune moment and plonked a plate of fresh food in front of him, sliced chicken breast with cat treats sprinkled on top (lol). I left the room (I once read that cats don't like being watched) and he'd eaten a good 50% of it when I came back in. I think this is a good sign!

He does not want to come downstairs at present. I can lure him to the top of the stairs but that's about it, I think that might be a challenge for another day. I still haven't seen him drink as yet.
Reply 8
This is the boy in question. We don't know how old he is. Anyone have a guess?
rsz_ginger.jpg
Satan is waiting and ready to pounce
Original post by AmyJ
This is the boy in question. We don't know how old he is. Anyone have a guess?
rsz_ginger.jpg

lmao how can we guess from that?
Original post by AmyJ
So, 'Ginger' has been roaming around upstairs, sitting in various wardrobes, on top of cupboards and windowsills, even in the bath!

I waited for an opportune moment and plonked a plate of fresh food in front of him, sliced chicken breast with cat treats sprinkled on top (lol). I left the room (I once read that cats don't like being watched) and he'd eaten a good 50% of it when I came back in. I think this is a good sign!

He does not want to come downstairs at present. I can lure him to the top of the stairs but that's about it, I think that might be a challenge for another day. I still haven't seen him drink as yet.

That's great! Leaving the room was a good idea too.
You tend not to see cats drink, so maybe out the water in something where is easy to tell if the level has changed. Oh and keep it away from the food- that's another cat thing.

He's a beautiful cat and it seems he likes you. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Lord Nutter
lmao how can we guess from that?

Oh, I mean sometimes you can tell if a cat is particularly old, etc. And some "experts" can guess from looking at the eyes and the condition of the coat, things like that.
Reply 13
Original post by _InnocentOne_

Haha, indeed! :biggrin:
Original post by _InnocentOne_

Hahaha omg
I was cat-sitting just last week and that cat did NOT want to eat or drink. I put out the recommended amount of everything (bit of dry, wet and some milk) and would wait for a good half hour at the top of the stairs and see if she would eat anything - no sir. Was quite panicky that she’d starve or something under my care.

In the end she just ate when she pleased. She would nibble a bit when I was there sometimes, but she’d clear a whole bowl when I returned in the morning. However, she barely touched her milk. But the likelihood was she was drinking water outside in the day, and finding things to eat. He should be fine! x
Reply 16
For anyone bothered, the cat has taken over and is now eating everything in sight, sleeping in our bed(s), waking me up at 5am, etc, etc. He will probably be charging me rent in a few days. :tongue:
SATAN IS AWESOME(jk):beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::diep::diep::diep::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil3::devil3::devil3::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump:
Original post by AmyJ
For anyone bothered, the cat has taken over and is now eating everything in sight, sleeping in our bed(s), waking me up at 5am, etc, etc. He will probably be charging me rent in a few days. :tongue:

Brilliant! That is the sign of a normal, healthy cat - when they treat you as a servant! (Hence my favourite saying "Dogs have owners, cats have staff!")

Quick Reply

Latest