The Student Room Group

Freshers on TSR: What are your top 3 'Desert Island' items for going to Uni?

Hi everyone! :woo:

I’m sure many of you are busy making lists of all the practical items you’ll need to take to university when you head off in just a few weeks. :auto:

But alongside the coat hangers, cutlery, and plasters, what things are you taking that you absolutely cannot live without? If uni was a desert island, what would be your essential items? :cool:

I’m not the most sensible person and I definitely prioritised emotional comfort over common sense when I was packing for uni (proudly made it three whole years without owning a cheese grater or a sharp knife! :colondollar:)

My own top 3 desert island university essentials were:

1. A bright orange leopard print coat (Thought this might be a shortcut to reinventing myself :s-smilie:)

2. A toastie maker (I think this explains itself :u:)

3. A giant orangutan stuffed toy (I don’t think I can explain this :redface:)

So what are you taking with you to uni that you can’t live without? Start by telling us what university you will be going to this year and then your list of absolutely can not live without items, the more unusual the better! :biggrin:

Ps. As a bonus, we'd love for you to nominate someone else to comment their own top 3 items, just tag them in your reply and away we go :ahee:
Loving your 3 items!! :tongue: can confirm a toastie maker is a must at Uni...

Mine would be:
1. A big fluffy blanket - Cosiness is not being compromised on
2. Blackout eye mask for sleep - Can never fully rely on the blinds or curtains you get in Uni accommodations
3. Fairy lights - because what is a uni room without fairy lights?

I am going to nominate @Evil Homer next! :aetsch:
My essentials are/were:

1. The stuffed animal I've had since I was born, which still goes with me whenever I move. I definitely recommend taking something like this to uni - be it a photo of your family, a cosy blanket or a beloved stuffed toy like mine. If you're moving away from home for the first time then it is normal to feel homesick and things like these can help ease those feelings :h:

2. A good kitchen knife. There's nothing more frustrating than having a knife that just doesn't cut things! It can make food prep much more frustrating than it has to be and waste precious time too.

3. A good game to play with flatmates/coursemates/new friends. Playing a game together can be a good icebreaker, as well as a fun way to pass an evening in your university accommodation!
Right, this has taken me a while but:

1.) My cat, does my cat count? If my cat counts then I want to bring my cat.

2.) Can I steal the toasty maker? Ideally the cheapest breville toastie makers you can find. Something about those tiny little pockets of molten hot cheese .... :puppyeyes:

3.) As many Stephen King books you will let me carry, but if I could only bring one, The Dark Tower

Tagging in @1582 because I want to hear their answers!
Original post by Pwca

I’m sure many of you are busy making lists of all the practical items you’ll need to take to university when you head off in just a few weeks. :auto:

But alongside the coat hangers, cutlery, and plasters, what things are you taking that you absolutely cannot live without? If uni was a desert island, what would be your essential items? :cool:

I’m not the most sensible person and I definitely prioritised emotional comfort over common sense when I was packing for uni (proudly made it three whole years without owning a cheese grater or a sharp knife! :colondollar:)

1. A bright orange leopard print coat (Thought this might be a shortcut to reinventing myself :s-smilie:)

So what are you taking with you to uni that you can’t live without? Start by telling us what university you will be going to this year and then your list of absolutely can not live without items, the more unusual the better! :biggrin:

Ps. As a bonus, we'd love for you to nominate someone else to comment their own top 3 items, just tag them in your reply and away we go :ahee:

- my teddy as well
- daily diary/planner
- air fryer (cooking is so much easier and quicker) this helps me not give into eating out all the time, actually make balanced meals and save money
Original post by xImperatrix
- my teddy as well
- daily diary/planner
- air fryer (cooking is so much easier and quicker) this helps me not give into eating out all the time, actually make balanced meals and save money

Air fryer is such a good one!
Original post by Evil Homer
Right, this has taken me a while but:

1.) My cat, does my cat count? If my cat counts then I want to bring my cat.

2.) Can I steal the toasty maker? Ideally the cheapest breville toastie makers you can find. Something about those tiny little pockets of molten hot cheese .... :puppyeyes:

3.) As many Stephen King books you will let me carry, but if I could only bring one, The Dark Tower

Tagging in @1582 because I want to hear their answers!

Having to clean the breville though was always a sad job.
Original post by xImperatrix
- my teddy as well
- daily diary/planner

I fee like air fryers are new, are they a new thing? I don't remember them being a thing when I was at uni
Original post by Pwca
Having to clean the breville though was always a sad job.

Who needs to clean them? Extra flavour :yum:
Original post by Evil Homer
Who needs to clean them? Extra flavour :yum:

:cry2:
Reply 9
Original post by CamembertPaws

Mine would be:
2. Blackout eye mask for sleep - Can never fully rely on the blinds or curtains you get in Uni accommodations

Some unis forbid fairy lights so best to check :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Some unis forbid fairy lights so best to check :smile:

Oh really?! good point, thanks for the reminder. I must mention I didn't stay in halls and was in private accommodation - so please do check folks :h:
Original post by CamembertPaws

Mine would be:

Love the Idea of a toasty maker ! It’s a life choice haha
1.) My I-pod classic (yes, it still works too, can't exist without access to my Taylor Swift albums etc.)
2.) My camera (You've probably gathered by now I am a millennial not Gen-Z)
3.) Toasty maker sounds like a great idea, I've nicked that from a post above

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Pwca

IKEA was a big stop for me before I went to Uni, and also reviewing what my family and friends could donate, and had going spare!:hugs:
Here they are - my absolute essentials (only took 5 years of perfecting the recipe!):

#1 - A plant for my room and home space (I can't say it has always been the same plant but I tried:colondollar:). My Money Plant (wishful thinking) has lasted this many years and was my first Uni halls plant in 2017!:mistle:

#2 - A clothes horse/ octopus for socks and delicates.These were a must for me as I lived in a lot of accommodation over the years where I didn't have a washing line (or didn't want to leave my pants out in the rain:K:)!

#3 - A keepsake or something to remind me of family and home:emog:. I had pictures of my family and siblings, as well as some silly ones and postcards, from my travels and home to keep me grounded whilst settling in - something familiar and a conversation starter for new friends that I invited for a cuppa!:suith:

I'd say a few other cheeky additions, that were definitely not space efficient, but were 'essential': a giant green sequin bow tie for St Patrick's day:biggrin:, a Santa Hat:santa3:, and Devil horns:devil: for all festive occasions and fancy dress!

Anyone else with me?:danceboy:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending