The Student Room Group

A year 12 student from outside the uk moving to Britain

Hi,
Im currently a year 11 student living outside the uk, here the education system is quite different so I won't be able to do the gcse , if I were to move to Britain next year , what will I have to do to keep studying ?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Maria.HA
Hi,
Im currently a year 11 student living outside the uk, here the education system is quite different so I won't be able to do the gcse , if I were to move to Britain next year , what will I have to do to keep studying ?
Thanks in advance :smile:

What country are you moving from?
What is your nationality?
On what basis will you be moving here? Will you have leave to remain?
How old will you be and what month is your arrival?

You should start with GCSE Maths and English- Then got for a total of 5-6 GCSE.

You can then decide whether to do various qualifications that people in the UK do during year 12 and 13. A levels, BTEC or even an Access curse to get into Uni.

You may not get funding though.

ps education is free till you are 18, then it becomes the students responsibility to find funding.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger

Some sixth forms/colleges may also accept students who have studied iGCSEs (though be sure to thoroughly check the entry criteria as they may be different to standard GCSEs)
Original post by BDE
Some sixth forms/colleges may also accept students who have studied iGCSEs (though be sure to thoroughly check the entry criteria as they may be different to standard GCSEs)

Any sixth form would accept IGCSE as they are equivalent. The OP doesnt suggest they have any plus there are other potential issues.
Reply 4
What is your nationality?
On what basis will you be moving here? Will you have leave to remain?
How old will you be and what month is your arrival?

You can then decide whether to do various qualifications that people in the UK do during year 12 and 13. A levels, BTEC or even an Access curse to get into Uni.

You may not get funding though.

ps education is free till you are 18, then it becomes the students responsibility to find funding.

I will be moving from the Middle East , likely in July, I am going to be sixteen years old and no I am not studying the igcses
I will be moving from the Middle East , likely in July, I am going to be sixteen years old and no I am not studying the igcses

As stated your education will be free till you are 18. A college may be more appropriate to do GCSE. A school might take you into year 10. You are only going to be one year behind, although you may find it easy if you have already covered the subjects.

The issue comes with whether you can get started on the A level or equivalent phase whilst education is free. Imo get as much free formal education whilst you can.

If you intend to go to uni, then you may have no recourse to public funds, depending to what the answers to your previous questions were.
Reply 6
As stated your education will be free till you are 18. A college may be more appropriate to do GCSE. A school might take you into year 10. You are only going to be one year behind, although you may find it easy if you have already covered the subjects.

The issue comes with whether you can get started on the A level or equivalent phase whilst education is free. Imo get as much free formal education whilst you can.

If you intend to go to uni, then you may have no recourse to public funds, depending to what the answers to your previous questions were.

So I have the choice between going to a college or redoing year ten ?

They will amount to the same thing i.e doing GCSE. Your title was confusing because in the UK you arent really year 12, but more like year 10 now and 11 when you reach 16.
(edited 6 years ago)

I don't know if this is the case for other schools, but my school has accepted people without GCSEs into the sixth form. To enter the school they may have had to do a common entrance equivalent, but many have come from countries like Italy which don't do GCSE, and several people I know don't have any GCSEs (but it is worth considering that they're doing the IB so it's sufficient proof of proficiency in maths and English). If you've been studying at a GCSE level it would be worth making a query with the school you are going to about this, as that's the only way you'll know. I would say that you NEED English and Maths GCSE or equivalent exam qualifications, but I don't think they'll make you redo a year...
Reply 9
They will amount to the same thing i.e doing GCSE. Your title was confusing because in the UK you arent really year 12, but more like year 10 now and 11 when you reach 16.

Yes I know sorry but thank you very much for your help
Reply 10
Original post by mundosinfin
I don't know if this is the case for other schools, but my school has accepted people without GCSEs into the sixth form. To enter the school they may have had to do a common entrance equivalent, but many have come from countries like Italy which don't do GCSE, and several people I know don't have any GCSEs (but it is worth considering that they're doing the IB so it's sufficient proof of proficiency in maths and English). If you've been studying at a GCSE level it would be worth making a query with the school you are going to about this, as that's the only way you'll know. I would say that you NEED English and Maths GCSE or equivalent exam qualifications, but I don't think they'll make you redo a year...

That's very reassuring thank you for your help and I'll be sure to ask as soon as I can
That's very reassuring thank you for your help and I'll be sure to ask as soon as I can

I think everyone has already said what I had thought of... IGCSE is probably a good bet but sixth forms and college might operate on more of a case by case basis so maybe just try different ones.
And welcome to the UK! Prepare to get very used to constant! (and constant conversations about the rain...) I hope everything goes well for you:biggrin:

Whilst its true they will need to assess the OP, then if they dont have GCSE, they should get them. It isnt really going back a year, but starting at the appropriate level. theres no point starting in year 11 if they havent done year 10. They will need GCSEs at some stage if they are staying and its a good opportunity for them to build up their study skills in a new country.
Whilst its true they will need to assess the OP, then if they dont have GCSE, they should get them. It isnt really going back a year, but starting at the appropriate level. theres no point starting in year 11 if they havent done year 10. They will need GCSEs at some stage if they are staying and its a good opportunity for them to build up their study skills in a new country.

Agreed, but I said what I said assuming that OP was already working at the same level as year 11 students and was ready to go on to A-levels. If this isn’t the case then yes, I think they should take the opportunity to do GCSEs. However, OP should bear in mind that if she doesn’t have English and Maths GCSE and isn’t planning to take both to a higher level (so won’t have qualifications to show for it), I believe that needs to be done. :smile:
Agreed, but I said what I said assuming that OP was already working at the same level as year 11 students and was ready to go on to A-levels. If this isn’t the case then yes, I think they should take the opportunity to do GCSEs. However, OP should bear in mind that if she doesn’t have English and Maths GCSE and isn’t planning to take both to a higher level (so won’t have qualifications to show for it), I believe that needs to be done. :smile:

OP needs to grab as much free education as she can as its hard to do these courses again even at college. A levels are almost impossible. OP also has another challenge is that when they are 18 then they may have to finance anything further out of their own funds.
OP needs to grab as much free education as she can as its hard to do these courses again even at college. A levels are almost impossible. OP also has another challenge is that when they are 18 then they may have to finance anything further out of their own funds.

I was making the assumption that the syllabuses OP was studying are similar in level and content to the GCSE - I’m not sure obviously, but if the OP doesn’t know lots of the GCSE content required for A-levels then I would also recommend taking GCSE courses on arrival to Britain.
I was making the assumption that the syllabuses OP was studying are similar in level and content to the GCSE - I’m not sure obviously, but if the OP doesn’t know lots of the GCSE content required for A-levels then I would also recommend taking GCSE courses on arrival to Britain.

IF you look they say year 12, but its in fact year 10. I agree they will assess, but its tricky as it depends when hey arrive next year as to whether schools have a place.

Quick Reply

Latest