The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Since i started studying in sep 21 i have been incorrectly assessed as an international student. I have finally got this changed and have had my fees correctly backdated to the start of my course at home fees. Can i now apply for student finance to cover this? I have borrowed from others to finance up until now. Many thanks
Hi Jammers1,

Your eligibility for student finance does not relate to what fees status your university class you as. Are you a UK national?

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 2
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Jammers1,

Your eligibility for student finance does not relate to what fees status your university class you as. Are you a UK national?

Thanks,
Calum

Hi Calum , yes I am. I was born in london - but moved to south africa with my parents as a very young child. My grandparents neede care and it meant that my parents ended up staying in SA for longer than they wanted to care for them. I have proved that although this was a long time it was temporary as we always intended to return. Which we have now done and are living and settled in the uk - my mom and brother are british , and my dad is on a returning resident visa (ilr).
Original post by Jammers1
Hi Calum , yes I am. I was born in london - but moved to south africa with my parents as a very young child. My grandparents neede care and it meant that my parents ended up staying in SA for longer than they wanted to care for them. I have proved that although this was a long time it was temporary as we always intended to return. Which we have now done and are living and settled in the uk - my mom and brother are british , and my dad is on a returning resident visa (ilr).

Hi there,

Do you have proof that it was a temporary break? Thanks, Ross
Reply 4
Hi Ross , just the same info which i sent to the university - how do i submit that to SLC? Below is an extract from the letter from the uni

"Thank you for your patience in receiving an update on this. I was waiting to receive responses to my initial email and chasers sent to senior management since I escalated Gemma’s case on Thursday 25th January 2024. I have now received approval from the relevant people and can provide an update.

As we have previously advised, UK HE Providers determine a student’s fees assessment based on the information provided by UKCISA. UKCISA are a UK-based charity who provide information and guidance based on the UK Government HE fees legislations, and is published for use by students and UK education providers. You can find out more information about how fees assessments are completed here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-HE-fee-status#layer-6082.

To meet the criteria for a ‘Home’ fees assessment, a student must demonstrate why they have been temporarily absent from residence in the UK (if they have been). You have reported that the period of residence outside of the UK was ‘temporary’ and due to a series of unfortunate family health and other mitigating events which prevented your family from moving back to the UK. With the further information you provided as part of this process, we consider that this criterion to be satisfied.

Gemma is, therefore, assessed as a ‘Home’ fee payer under UKCISA category ‘3 years in UK and Islands, settled in UK (use this category only if the academic year you are paying fees for starts before 1 August 2024).’"
Reply 5
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,

Do you have proof that it was a temporary break? Thanks, Ross

Hi Ross,

I have the proof which i sent through to the university. See extract from their letter below. FYI there seem to be 2 posts running now - i thought i had deleted the on but it seems to still be on here. So i guess we can ignore one. Apologies for the confusion.

"Thank you for your patience in receiving an update on this. I was waiting to receive responses to my initial email and chasers sent to senior management since I escalated Gemma’s case on Thursday 25th January 2024. I have now received approval from the relevant people and can provide an update.

As we have previously advised, UK HE Providers determine a student’s fees assessment based on the information provided by UKCISA. UKCISA are a UK-based charity who provide information and guidance based on the UK Government HE fees legislations, and is published for use by students and UK education providers. You can find out more information about how fees assessments are completed here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-HE-fee-status#layer-6082.

To meet the criteria for a ‘Home’ fees assessment, a student must demonstrate why they have been temporarily absent from residence in the UK (if they have been). You have reported that the period of residence outside of the UK was ‘temporary’ and due to a series of unfortunate family health and other mitigating events which prevented your family from moving back to the UK. With the further information you provided as part of this process, we consider that this criterion to be satisfied.

Gemma is, therefore, assessed as a ‘Home’ fee payer under UKCISA category ‘3 years in UK and Islands, settled in UK (use this category only if the academic year you are paying fees for starts before 1 August 2024).’"
Original post by Jammers1
Hi Ross , just the same info which i sent to the university - how do i submit that to SLC? Below is an extract from the letter from the uni

Hi,

If you make an application online for your current Academic Year you would then have an 'upload supporting documents' section. You can attach the evidence there and it will be reviewed. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending