The Student Room Group

Provisional license query for international boarder in the UK

Can I apply for a provisional driving license in my current situation?

I am in year 13 in a British boarding school in the UK, and finishing my studies in June. I live here when I board, and usually go back to my home country for school holidays. Am I eligible to apply for a UK provisional license? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by poppet297
Can I apply for a provisional driving license in my current situation?

I am in year 13 in a British boarding school in the UK, and finishing my studies in June. I live here when I board, and usually go back to my home country for school holidays. Am I eligible to apply for a UK provisional license? Thanks.

If you've got permission to live in Great Britain for at least 185 days then yes.
Reply 2
Original post by mesub
If you've got permission to live in Great Britain for at least 185 days then yes.

If you don't reside in the UK then normally you can't get a driving licence issued by the DVLA. You would have to obtain a provisional driving licence in your country of origin and then you have up to 12 months to drive on your provisional driving licence as a 'visitor' to the UK - When you return to your country of origin and re-enter the UK your 12 month visitor rights start again.

There is an add on to this - It depends on your country of origin or if you are from a 'designated' country

mesub is correct when they say you must have lived for 185 days in the UK in the 12 months before you can apply for a UK driving licence - the term of 'residency' is important But normally you must have moved to the UK from another EC/EEA country in order to apply for this driving licence

Contact the DVLA helpline or website for any further advice

In any other circumstance
Reply 3
The Info leaflet from DVLA is the INF38
Driving in Great Britain as a visitor or a new resident

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending