The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

PAT testing

It’s almost a week that I’m due at university (Lancaster university) but I need to PAT test items. I have no knowledge of how to get items PAT tested in time or even what I could expect to pay. Does the university offer such services?
Reply 1
Just like to add I initially believed it would be simple like going into a shop or something but know I’m not sure whether I have to arrange for testing or even if I can get it done in time so I’m beginning to feel pretty anxious. I would appreciate any replies
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
It’s almost a week that I’m due at university (Lancaster university) but I need to PAT test items. I have no knowledge of how to get items PAT tested in time or even what I could expect to pay. Does the university offer such services?

Hi Anon,

what is it that you are wanting to get PAT tested?

Thanks
Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 3
The normal procedure is giving £100s to a geezer who's done a one day pat testing college course

You could try sweet talking local shops that sell reconditioned electrical stuff - or you might find a charity shop that sells old electrical stuff who could do it in return for a modest donation.

Not a recommendation... but anyone just can buy PAT test passed stickers and if the thing they're stuck on is not obviously charred, knackered or frayed there'd probably be no questions asked.
Just like to add I initially believed it would be simple like going into a shop or something but know I’m not sure whether I have to arrange for testing or even if I can get it done in time so I’m beginning to feel pretty anxious. I would appreciate any replies

Hey anon,

I was super nervous about this too before coming to uni! But definitely don't worry, they give you a good couple weeks to sort out PAT testing and the university in previous years have offered it for free!

Your college should advertise a day or two where they'll have people around in the bar or common room available to do it for you. You just bring your equipment over and they'll sort it all!

Good luck with moving in :smile:

Millie
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey anon,

I was super nervous about this too before coming to uni! But definitely don't worry, they give you a good couple weeks to sort out PAT testing and the university in previous years have offered it for free!

Your college should advertise a day or two where they'll have people around in the bar or common room available to do it for you. You just bring your equipment over and they'll sort it all!

Good luck with moving in :smile:

Millie

Thanks for the reply! It said on the email I received about arrivals that electrical equipment under 12 months old should be PAT tested. I’m probably just going to consider buying new non-rechargeable equipment like phone chargers.
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply! It said on the email I received about arrivals that electrical equipment under 12 months old should be PAT tested. I’m probably just going to consider buying new non-rechargeable equipment like phone chargers.

Sorry I wasn’t paying attention when I was typing. When I said ‘under 12 months old’ I mean over 12 months old.
Reply 7
Sorry I wasn’t paying attention when I was typing. When I said ‘under 12 months old’ I mean over 12 months old.

For some reason I can’t edit the post. Just for clarification, I mean Electrical equipment over 12 months old should be PAT tested.

Hi Anon,

The Residents handbook states the following:
You are responsible for the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) of any non-rechargeable electric equipment you bring with you. If this has been bought inside the UK you must arrange to have it tested annually after the first year. Anything brought in from outside the UK must be tested and your Accommodation Manager can supply you with a replacement electric cable for the equipment. For rechargeable equipment such as mobile phones and tablets, UK chargers are readily available and are preferred to the use of adaptors.

We often have PAT testing workshops where students can bring items along to have them tested, these will be announced by colleges if they are run again this year

Hope that helps

Tineke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending