The Student Room Group

LSE Straight Economics vs Maths + Econ

Do any LSE students have any insight on whether Maths and Economics is a better/superior course to Straight L100 Economics or whether it is worse or pretty much the same deal?

Scroll to see replies

better in terms of what?
LSE Economics has a better reputation/prestige
Your question is pretty vaguely worded. They will be equal as far as "prestige" goes for getting a job in banking or some similar nonsense, since they by far and away care about the name of the university in that realm and not the specific course.

For getting a PhD (and either remaining in academia or pursuing e.g. quant roles in finance) I would venture the Maths/Economics combined courses are better preparation for the "top" PhD programmes in Economics - certainly in the US they would be, in the UK it depends more on the specific project but it can only be a benefit to have a better understanding of the fundamental mathematics that will underpin any quantitative work you're doing (assuming you do real analysis anyway).
Both equal for career opportunities etc etc

LSE offers more choice with the econ course for picking modules you like though, it's also easier apparently

If you want to go into further study beyond undergraduate maybe maths and econ is better.
Reply 4
Original post by dinglebells
better in terms of what?
LSE Economics has a better reputation/prestige

How come? and is math and eco at lse better than ucl eco?
Reply 5
Original post by mattchaamp
Both equal for career opportunities etc etc

LSE offers more choice with the econ course for picking modules you like though, it's also easier apparently

If you want to go into further study beyond undergraduate maybe maths and econ is better.

do you know if you can switch from maths and eco towards just eco?
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Your question is pretty vaguely worded. They will be equal as far as "prestige" goes for getting a job in banking or some similar nonsense, since they by far and away care about the name of the university in that realm and not the specific course.

For getting a PhD (and either remaining in academia or pursuing e.g. quant roles in finance) I would venture the Maths/Economics combined courses are better preparation for the "top" PhD programmes in Economics - certainly in the US they would be, in the UK it depends more on the specific project but it can only be a benefit to have a better understanding of the fundamental mathematics that will underpin any quantitative work you're doing (assuming you do real analysis anyway).

Also im looking to do investment banking so i guess maths and eco is better?
Original post by Econowizard

Yes you can
Reply 8
Yes you can

That is brilliant to know. So I think I will start with Maths and Econ, get a taste for it and if I wish swap.
How come? and is math and eco at lse better than ucl eco?

LSE Economics is just special cos its the London School of Economics and the economics department is the most highly regarded department at LSE, whereas the maths department isn't renowned.
however, i'd say Maths+Econ is one of the top 5 courses at LSE in terms of "prestige".
obviously, this doesn't mean that LSE Economics is "better" than LSE Maths+Econ, just that it probably would get more "wow"s.

you can, but it's unlikely because it's usually full

They would be about the same for investment banking. For some complex trading roles, Maths+Econ may have a very slight advantage.
That is brilliant to know. So I think I will start with Maths and Econ, get a taste for it and if I wish swap.

Don't count on being able to swap. It's not guaranteed at all.
Reply 13
Original post by dinglebells
LSE Economics is just special cos its the London School of Economics and the economics department is the most highly regarded department at LSE, whereas the maths department isn't renowned.
however, i'd say Maths+Econ is one of the top 5 courses at LSE in terms of "prestige".
obviously, this doesn't mean that LSE Economics is "better" than LSE Maths+Econ, just that it probably would get more "wow"s.

Interesting, what would the other 4 of the top 5 be?

In theory you should be able to switch between the two in first year provided you take the proper optional modules to ensure you take the core modules for both (this is specifically I think, straight econ would need to take Introduction to Abstract Mathematics) - however this would be at the discretion of the university/course leaders.

If you're interested in a more quantitative programme in Economics but not so interested in abstract/pure maths, the Econometrics and Mathematical Economics course might be of interest. However this can only be transferred into after you start (or at least, they've not recruited any applicants into it via UCAS for the last couple years as I'm aware), but the same advice as above applies.
Reply 15
Original post by JickDee
Don't count on being able to swap. It's not guaranteed at all.

OK. Regardless I think M+E is slowly becoming the superior option. Only thing scaring me a bit is if it is much harder than ECON at UCL as I wish to maintain a healthy work/ life balance.
Interesting, what would the other 4 of the top 5 be?

Economics, Law, Finance, EME
(my opinion)
OK. Regardless I think M+E is slowly becoming the superior option. Only thing scaring me a bit is if it is much harder than ECON at UCL as I wish to maintain a healthy work/ life balance.

UCL econ is pretty quantitative from what ive heard.

Regardless, if you're serious about getting into banking then that balance will be pretty hard given how much time you need to give to other stuff

Im firming M+E at LSE too, and have spoken around to lots of students who say the same

if you're good at maths, then i don't think it is any harder than UCL Econ.
Reply 19
UCL econ is pretty quantitative from what ive heard.

Regardless, if you're serious about getting into banking then that balance will be pretty hard given how much time you need to give to other stuff

Im firming M+E at LSE too, and have spoken around to lots of students who say the same

Of course, I was talking in regards to during university. Regardless by 'life' I simply meant keeping fitness on track and having time for say one social per week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending