The Student Room Group

What is FSMQ?

I'm here in England from 7-8 months, and I do not know some things about the British school system yet.
Reply 1
It stands for Free Standing Maths Qualification. The most common one is a Level 3 exam taken in Year 11 as an extra challenge to GCSE students who are good at Maths. The possible grades are A, B, C, D, E, U. Yopu can find out more about it, including past papers, here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/free-standing-maths-qualification-fsmq-additional-mathematics-6993/
(edited 6 years ago)
It’s not a gcse, and it’s a bit harder than the maths GCSE but not quite as hard as maths a level. It’s good to do if you’re doing well at maths at GCSE and want to do it for a level or even further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by bluemuffin
It’s not a gcse, and it’s a bit harder than the maths GCSE but not quite as hard as maths a level. It’s good to do if you’re doing well at maths at GCSE and want to do it for a level or even further maths.

Can you also tell me if in March/April are there some gcses?
Original post by SoleSole
Can you also tell me if in March/April are there some gcses?

Art exam was in march and some of the courseline deadlines are in march/April e.g for music or dt
Reply 5
Original post by bluemuffin
Art exam was in march and some of the courseline deadlines are in march/April e.g for music or dt

So, why have I a Gcse FSMQ Maths in March/April?
Reply 6
So, why have I a Gcse FSMQ Maths in March/April?

Are you sure it isn't Maths FS - Functional skills?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Are you sure it isn't Maths FS - Functional skills?

What is the difference? Sorry i'm from Italy, and i don't know some things of this school system.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
What is the difference? Sorry i'm from Italy, and i don't know some things of this school system.

Functional skills is easier and. more significantly, is available in March.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
Functional skills is easier and. more significantly, is available in March.

What is the maximum grade in this exam?
How do you apply for higher or advanced FSMQ Would I be able to do it even though im at the end of year 12

Quick Reply

Latest