The Student Room Group

Do you think I have a good shot at Cambridge?

My GCSEs are 999988766, and I got an A in Additional Maths Level 3 FSMQ. My A-level predictions are A*A*A*A in maths, physics, geography and further maths. Main things on my personal statement will include Bronze and Silver DofE, a 5-day work experience at Imperial in Materials and Engineering, running Engineering Club, writing for my school science magazine, 10-day Summer School at UCL in Engineering, taking apart a motorbike engine and weekly maths problem solving classes. I'm worried that I don't have enough objective academic content in my personal statement (Is it worth mentioning UKMT Silvers and stuff like that if its not Gold).

I'm in Y12 now so its too late to apply to Arkwright Scholarships and things like that, is there anything else I can do instead?

Edit: I forgot to include the subject, its Engineering haha oops
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dckdcnnd
My GCSEs are 999988766, and I got an A in Additional Maths Level 3 FSMQ. My A-level predictions are A*A*A*A in maths, physics, geography and further maths. Main things on my personal statement will include Bronze and Silver DofE, a 5-day work experience at Imperial, running Engineering Club, writing for my school science magazine, 10-day Summer School at UCL, taking apart a motorbike engine and weekly maths problem solving classes. I'm worried that I don't have enough objective academic content in my personal statement (Is it worth mentioning UKMT Silvers and stuff like that if its not Gold).

I'm in Y12 now so its too late to apply to Arkwright Scholarships and things like that, is there anything else I can do instead?

not sure if I'm missing what's in front of me, but what subject are you actually applying for?
Reply 2
My GCSEs are 999988766, and I got an A in Additional Maths Level 3 FSMQ. My A-level predictions are A*A*A*A in maths, physics, geography and further maths. Main things on my personal statement will include Bronze and Silver DofE, a 5-day work experience at Imperial, running Engineering Club, writing for my school science magazine, 10-day Summer School at UCL, taking apart a motorbike engine and weekly maths problem solving classes. I'm worried that I don't have enough objective academic content in my personal statement (Is it worth mentioning UKMT Silvers and stuff like that if its not Gold).

D of E not worth including and what degree as Isee a list of random 'stuff' which tells me nothing.
as the others have said, what subject? engineering? maths?
Reply 4
Original post by davros
not sure if I'm missing what's in front of me, but what subject are you actually applying for?

sorry i forgot to mention, its for engineering
Reply 5
Original post by marble arch
as the others have said, what subject? engineering? maths?
Reply 6

No year in industry - not a university my top students go for now. The course is theoretical and does not prepare you for a career. If you like stripping engines go elsewhere - somewhere like Bath or Brookes where you can get involved in an International competition like Formula Student.
https://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
No year in industry - not a university my top students go for now. The course is theoretical and does not prepare you for a career. If you like stripping engines go elsewhere - somewhere like Bath or Brookes where you can get involved in an International competition like Formula Student.
https://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student

im hoping to go into the space industry after uni, surely theoretical would be more appropriate for that?
Reply 8
My GCSEs are 999988766, and I got an A in Additional Maths Level 3 FSMQ. My A-level predictions are A*A*A*A in maths, physics, geography and further maths. Main things on my personal statement will include Bronze and Silver DofE, a 5-day work experience at Imperial in Materials and Engineering, running Engineering Club, writing for my school science magazine, 10-day Summer School at UCL in Engineering, taking apart a motorbike engine and weekly maths problem solving classes. I'm worried that I don't have enough objective academic content in my personal statement (Is it worth mentioning UKMT Silvers and stuff like that if its not Gold).

Edit: I forgot to include the subject, its Engineering haha oops

I take it youve looked at
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/super-curricular-activities
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions_2.pdf
Things like doe are largely irrelevant.
Reply 9
im hoping to go into the space industry after uni, surely theoretical would be more appropriate for that?

Have you checked? Space is about application so theory isn't enough - look for a year in a space-related company..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending