The Student Room Group

German (and other Languages) Speaking Exam 9-1

(I do German but this also applies to any of the other languages with the same style exam.)

Has your teacher made you learn answers to speaking questions for the speaking exam? Mine has although they won't know what the questions are so isn't this just wasting our time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep same, I do Spanish.

I do not like the idea that the only way I'm supposed to do well in the speaking is by rote learning answers. It is not fair at all and rote learning does not mean I can speak Spanish.

I am creating a few points for each question but not full-length answers, I do not support rote learning at all.
Reply 2
Use your questions as a guideline, but do not assume that they will ask you the exact question.
Original post by Tiwa101
Yep same, I do Spanish.

I do not like the idea that the only way I'm supposed to do well in the speaking is by rote learning answers. It is not fair at all and rote learning does not mean I can speak Spanish.

I am creating a few points for each question but not full-length answers, I do not support rote learning at all.

It says in the specification that the general conversation should be spontaneous and should not rely on learned answers, which is the opposite of what we are doing!
yes, i have to learn certain questions for Spanish! What happens is, on the day you’ll be given your photo card and role play to prepare for in advance under examination conditions!

when you enter the room, you’ll go through both of them and then have some speaking questions to answer the questions will be questions from the list that your teacher has given you but it won’t be all of them and you won’t know which topics it’ll be on! so you have to learn all answers in case you get asked about any of them, that way you should have an idea of an answer already without stressing to think about one on the spot!

Hope this helps
[QUOTE==the questions will be questions from the list that your teacher has given you

Our teacher has said they should be similar but not the same. Which is true?!?!
Reply 6
Original post by Goldfish4343
It says in the specification that the general conversation should be spontaneous and should not rely on learned answers, which is the opposite of what we are doing!

Yh exactly, this is my issue too, because I do have a good memory, I could just memorise loads of answers and regurgitate them but I do not want to do that cause then the exam would only be testing my memory, not my speaking ability.

I am using the questions I have as a guideline, the best way to revise for speaking is to practice speaking randomly too, I have been doing that as well.

The examiner can tell if you sound like a robot too!

Just so you know, speaking exams usually have high boundaries because of the people who are fluent in the language that they take for GCSE, but try your best!!! hopefully they wont be high this year :smile:
Yes, i also do German and my teacher has implied that these will be the questions she will ask us (though not necessarily worded exactly the same), although we can't guarantee which of the topics we learn will be in the conversation but having answers to all possibly topics makes it easier. This was also (sort of) the case when I took my French GCSE early a few years ago.
Reply 8
Our teacher has said they should be similar but not the same. Which is true?!?!

They will definitely be similar, and the teachers aren't expecting you to have a detailed answer to every question. I think the whole memorise answers to questions thing is flawed.
Original post by Tiwa101
They will definitely be similar, and the teachers aren't expecting you to have a detailed answer to every question. I think the whole memorise answers to questions thing is flawed.

I think the main problem with the new languages GCSE, in general, is not being able to have different tiers for the different skills. This is a massive disadvantage. I could probably do higher in both reading and listening, however, my speaking and listening skills aren't that great, but I'm still doing higher although I will likely struggle a lot
we have to literally memorise answers to 100 questions :/
Original post by sxhxl
we have to literally memorise answers to 100 questions :/

And what have you been told about the questions you will be asked? Is it those exact ones or similar?
And what have you been told about the questions you will be asked? Is it those exact ones or similar?

exact ones
Original post by sxhxl
exact ones

We aren't apparently. This speaking exam is just confusing me...
Reply 14
I think the main problem with the new languages GCSE, in general, is not being able to have different tiers for the different skills. This is a massive disadvantage. I could probably do higher in both reading and listening, however, my speaking and listening skills aren't that great, but I'm still doing higher although I will likely struggle a lot

Yh that is quite true as well. However the new gcses are much better than the old ones
yeah, I’m doing French and we’ve had model speaking questions our teacher made us write the answers down to in case they crop up
We aren't apparently. This speaking exam is just confusing me...

Even if they're not the exact ones, I'm sure they'll be v v similar. My school has split up the questions to even simpler questions which im guessing is to prepare us for every single thing they could ask. (im doing french btw)
Original post by Tiwa101
Yh that is quite true as well. However the new gcses are much better than the old ones

I just don't like being the 1st year through the new exams
Original post by lici76249
Yes, i also do German and my teacher has implied that these will be the questions she will ask us (though not necessarily worded exactly the same), although we can't guarantee which of the topics we learn will be in the conversation but having answers to all possibly topics makes it easier. This was also (sort of) the case when I took my French GCSE early a few years ago.

how do you memorise all 80 Q's in like 2 weeks???
Original post by Helllpp-plezzz
how do you memorise all 80 Q's in like 2 weeks???

I'm just reading over them and saying them and it seems to be working.

Quick Reply

Latest