The Student Room Group

What do you think are the hardest topics in maths?

Edexcel 9-1 preferably
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
Edexcel 9-1 preferably

most students find;
vectors
3D planes
simplifying equations
calculus (kinematics)

mostly those I think :smile:
circle theorems
knowing when to apply the cosine rule
Original post by brainmaster
most students find;
vectors
3D planes
simplifying equations
calculus (kinematics)

mostly those I think :smile:

Is calculus and 3D planes in 9-1 Edexcel gcse?
Is calculus and 3D planes in 9-1 Edexcel gcse?

yes 3D planes is there also in old shall bus and here too and most people don't know what calculus is at this level (unfortunately) but dy/dx ...differentiation is calculus....very basic and its in the form of kinematics (dealing with motion of particles and objects)
yes 3D planes is there also in old shall bus and here too and most people don't know what calculus is at this level (unfortunately) but dy/dx ...differentiation is calculus....very basic and its in the form of kinematics (dealing with motion of particles and objects)

So do you need to know about calculus at gcse level or is it more advanced
So do you need to know about calculus at gcse level or is it more advanced

at gcse level all you need to know is differentiating any term in form of ax^n and then knowing that if you are given a displacement equation...then differentiating it will give you the velocity equation and differentiating again you will get acceleration equation.
in short if you have displacement of a particle at time t seconds is given the equation s then;
ds/dt = velocity (v)
dv/dt = acceleration (a)

you can more questions on this....calculus is considered one of the toughest areas in MATHEMATICS
Reply 7
Vector proof, circle theorems, geometric sequences with surds
Reply 8
at gcse level all you need to know is differentiating any term in form of ax^n and then knowing that if you are given a displacement equation...then differentiating it will give you the velocity equation and differentiating again you will get acceleration equation.
in short if you have displacement of a particle at time t seconds is given the equation s then;
ds/dt = velocity (v)
dv/dt = acceleration (a)

You don't need to know any of this for GCSE maths.
Original post by Notnek

You need it for IGCSE maths (As I found out today as I was helping out my brother)
Reply 10
Original post by JammieDodger27
You need it for IGCSE maths (As I found out today as I was helping out my brother)

Yes basic calculus is part of Edexcel IGCSE but not 9-1 GCSE (or CIE IGCSE).
Probably algebra for me
Original post by Notnek

ohh actually I do IGCSE so I thought its also done in GCSE...
Original post by Ryanzmw
Probably algebra for me

A lot of maths in all levels are algebra, algebra is a whole unit of maths as well rather than a topics.
Probably circle theorems, circle equations, vectors
algebra was my downfall as for many of my friends
at uni: partial differential equations, 3D plane integration, multivariate calc in general tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending