The Student Room Group

I'm a neurosurgeon (trainee), ask me anything!

Hi guys, has recommended me to use this forum and guide aspiring neurosurgeons.

I am an ST2 in a run-through neurosurgical programme. I am a girl.

Ask me anything except
(1) where I work / am based
(2) whether you need to go to a Russell Group University (you don't!)
(2) what grades you need at GCSEs / A-Levels (it doesn't matter!)

I am busy and may well reply late / miss your replies. Quote me in and I will try to reply to all of you. I will not accept PMs or visitor messages.

Scroll to see replies

how competitive is neurosurgery compared to other surgical fields
Original post by Dreamer20
how competitive is neurosurgery compared to other surgical fields

The year I got in (2016/17) it was 6.50 applicants to 1 post.
You're a neurosurgeon so believe me when I say that no intelligent discussion goes on in this forum -
If an EEG measured the brain signal of all the site's users and then averaged it, it would be a flat line - might be a slight bump because of me though
also how could ecolier be so mean, does he/she/it hate you? why would anyone suggest you to come onto a site that will give you a brain tumor
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by straightIrishguy
You're a neurosurgeon so believe me when I say that no intelligent discussion goes on in this forum -
If an EEG measured the brain signal of all the site's users and then averaged it, it would be a flat line - might be a slight bump because of me though
also how could ecolier be so mean, does he/she/it hate you? why would anyone suggest you to come onto a site that will give you a brain tumor

Well it's a good thing I can treat it then isn't it?

Plus, EEG isn't a measure of intelligence, what you say is and you are not exactly covering yourself in glory here.

And to Dreamer20 above, it was 6.5 to 1 the year I applied. I tried to post a link but it's awaiting moderation.
Original post by itsbrainsurgery

Plus, EEG isn't a measure of intelligence, what you say is and you are not exactly covering yourself in glory here.

I know it isn't - it's a measure of brain activity -I was using hyperbole and implying that all the users here are brain dead if not most, and that I was the only one with measurable brain activity

but I might as well ask a question you can understand: does surgery get tiring? does your back hurt after a while? I know docs take breaks- but I'm a weak guy, illness has plagued me since before birth and a big reason for me going into medicine was that it seemed to be the OK mix of not sitting down all day and not being overly laborious physically
(edited 5 years ago)
If you loose the use of your hands in a car accident will you use the last of your money to buy a one-way ticket to Kamar-Taj in hope of becoming Earth's next master of the mystic arts?
(edited 5 years ago)
Is this the friend you were telling me about :biggrin: If yes heard great things about you.Even though ecolier (resisting temptation to say his actual name)tried to persuade me to go into neurology still pretty set on neurosurgery!!Why did you want to be a neurosurgeon and have you met Henry Marsh?But than ecolier,you said you didn't know any female neurosurgeons so perhaps not..?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi guys, @ecolier has recommended me to use this forum and guide aspiring neurosurgeons.

I am an ST2 in a run-through neurosurgical programme. I am a girl.

Ask me anything except
(1) where I work / am based
(2) whether you need to go to a Russell Group University (you don't!)
(2) what grades you need at GCSEs / A-Levels (it doesn't matter!)

I am busy and may well reply late / miss your replies. Quote me in and I will try to reply to all of you. I will not accept PMs or visitor messages.

Why neurosurgery?
Have you always aimed for neurosurgery, or did you make the decision while studying medicine?
What are the most rewarding and challenging parts of your job?
Do you have any regrets about choosing neurosurgery?
If you had one piece of advice for an aspiring medic, what would it be?

If you don’t mind me asking as well, (and if you can remember!) what did you do for your application in terms in terms of volunteering/work experience/extracurriculars? What would you recommend doing for a competitive application? Also, what uni’s did you apply to, and where did you end up studying in the end?

Thanks so much in advance, I know I have a lot of questions!! :smile:
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
@ecolier
Is this the friend you were telling me about :biggrin: If yes heard great things about you.Even though ecolier (resisting temptation to say his actual name)tried to persuade me to go into neurology still pretty set on neurosurgery!!Why did you want to be a neurosurgeon and have you met Henry Marsh?

I didn't actually decide until later on in medical school. It was because of an inspiring neurosurgeon who taught us. He gave us lots of resources and helped with projects etc. It was the only speciality that I could realistically do! (Maybe neurology too?)

And no I haven't met Henry Marsh.
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
If you use the use of your hands in a car accident will you use the last of your money to buy a one-way ticket to Kamar-Taj in hope of becoming Earth's next master of the mystic arts?

I don't know how I can use the use of my hands. Next question.
I don't know how I can use the use of my hands. Next question.

Oh, no, I screwed up there, I meant LOOSE the use of your hands hahahaha
Do you know anyone who got in through GEM and do you think it's harder?
That's really cool.How do you feel about the fact that there are not many female neurosurgeons especially at consultant level-do you ever feel intimidated?

I didn't actually decide until later on in medical school. It was because of an inspiring neurosurgeon who taught us. He gave us lots of resources and helped with projects etc. It was the only speciality that I could realistically do! (Maybe neurology too?)

And no I haven't met Henry Marsh.
Original post by K8e.H
Why neurosurgery?
Have you always aimed for neurosurgery, or did you make the decision while studying medicine?
What are the most rewarding and challenging parts of your job?
Do you have any regrets about choosing neurosurgery?
If you had one piece of advice for an aspiring medic, what would it be?

If you don’t mind me asking as well, (and if you can remember!) what did you do for your application in terms in terms of volunteering/work experience/extracurriculars? What would you recommend doing for a competitive application? Also, what uni’s did you apply to, and where did you end up studying in the end?

Thanks so much in advance, I know I have a lot of questions!! :smile:

(1) See above
(2) See above
(3) Rewarding = ability to save lives, apply manual dexterity and no thinking(!)
Challenging = competition to get in, lots of work (i.e. assessments) during training and tough hours
(4) Not yet...? But seeing @ecolier I do some times
(5) Don't have a preset specialty in your mind - just focus on getting into med school
(6) I did quite a bit - 2 weeks of work experience, NCS, DofE gold, worked several part time jobs and was part of a regional sports team. What do you mean competitive application? For med school or neurosurgery? I now realise that I have done way too much for med school just ask @ecolier!
(7) I applied to London med schools - obviously studied at one of them. No more details :smile:
What GCSEs and A-levels did you do and what did you get in them?
Original post by LolForgotMyPasss
Do you know anyone who got in through GEM and do you think it's harder?

Yes and yes.
can you tell if a brain is male or female by looking ?

:holmes:
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
That's really cool.How do you feel about the fact that there are not many female neurosurgeons especially at consultant level-do you ever feel intimidated?

I feel that I am helping to readdress the balance. There are actually quite a few of us, so that it is virtually 50-50 in our year at our place of training.

I do not feel intimidated at all, in fact I feel I am too well looked after!
do you think applying as a graduate to undergrad programmes as last resort is viable?

Latest

Trending

Trending