The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE 2018 Paper 1

To any grade 8/9 student. For paper 1 for elsewhere could we talk about how the theme/character is presented with no langauge analysis. So talking about the plot in relation to that?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, not sure if I can help (depends what texts you study and exam board) but I got a grade 9 in Literature last year if you need any help?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MorganMason
Hey, not sure if I can help (depends what texts you study and exam board) but I got a grade 9 in Literature last year if you need any help?

I’m on AQA
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
I’m on AQA

What texts do you study?
Reply 4
What texts do you study?

Literally no one studies these texts but I do Julius Caesar, Sign of the Four (Lord of the flies for paper 2)
Reply 5

Pardon the interruption, but how many quotes were sufficient in your answers to get a 9?
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
Literally no one studies these texts but I do Julius Caesar, Sign of the Four (Lord of the flies for paper 2)

Ah sorry can't help you there :frown:
Original post by k.n.h.
Pardon the interruption, but how many quotes were sufficient in your answers to get a 9?

From memory I probably discussed one to two key quotes in each paragraph. It's not how many quotes you have it's the detail you analyse them in really. I recommend two quotes each paragraph if you are confident at analysing
From memory I probably discussed one to two key quotes in each paragraph. It's not how many quotes you have it's the detail you analyse them in really. I recommend two quotes each paragraph if you are confident at analysing

I do Merchant of venice, A christmas carol and Inspector Calls; can u help me?
Reply 9

Thanks, but I meant how many quotes in a question, not a paragraph :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I do An Inspector Calls, Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde. I have no idea how to revise someone help xD
Original post by k.n.h.
Thanks, but I meant how many quotes in a question, not a paragraph :s-smilie:

personally I think I used about 6-8? but wouldn't have done a deep analysis on all of them
Original post by Nazx
I do An Inspector Calls, Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde. I have no idea how to revise someone help xD

I did Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth. What revision have you done so far?
Original post by ___Nassir___

Same I do merchant of Venice.
Original post by ___Nassir___

I did Christmas Carol
Reply 15
I did Christmas Carol

If you have any tips for Christmas carol can you pls lemme know.
I did Christmas Carol

im doing christmas carol, romeo & juliet and Animal Farm
I did Christmas Carol

Firstly, well done for your grade. And secondly is it possible if you could tell me briefly the key themes and any grade 9 context. Out of curiosity, how many quotes did you learn?
For all of the English lit make sure you have context. I do a Christmas carol Macbeth an inspector calls and power and conflict poetry and i would say just get key quotes for each one and know how to analyse them because then you can always use them. For poetry I'm focusing on about 5 poems so I can analyse them properly. For example in a Christmas carol revise the poor law and Dickens past life and how he believes that people aren't educated to help the poor or for the poor to help themselves. And in Macbeth know about king james 1 and his conspiracy with supernatural and witches. Also if you're at a higher level you can know about some philanthropists such as Derrida who had the idea that people had a binary pair and that there is a binary pair in macbeth
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Issakatie
I did Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth. What revision have you done so far?

same. just learning jekyll and hyde as character analysis and macbeth i dont knw how to revise. just making notes my revision guide and memorising key points. hoping for it to be lady macbeth or macbeth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending