The Student Room Group

Should Sign Language Be Taught In All Schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elizabethboo
I agree 100% that it should.
Im trying to teach myself sign language but as there are multiple versions it is proving very difficult to do over the internet so it would be nice to have someone who knows sign language teach me it.

This is me exactly! I've been using youtube videos, and I'm mostly sticking to learning ASL seeing as it is the most widely used. Have you tried Sign with Heart and Rochelle Barlow? They both have pretty good videos.
Original post by xoxrazanxox
If you think about it, teaching sign language in schools would be an amazing way to break down language barriers because as far as I'm concerned it's the same in every country/language. Yes, I realize that normal languages play a huge role in our society but we could still use sign language as a way of communication without having to learn an actual language.

Debates/ Discussion?

EDIT: I've been told there are many variants of Sign Language but it would still be interesting to maybe develop a global sign language or even just a global language in general?

I think sign language should be taught in school but not for the reason you mention. Let us face the fact that deaf children either end up not going to school or be subject to ignorance, loneliness and bully, not to mention unheard and misunderstood. (provided they don't go to school specifically for them) Teaching sign language would definitely make this world a better place for them.
Actually, Chinese is the most widely spoken language at around 1.2 billion, then going to Spanish and then English and sign language isn't only for the deaf community it's also for anyone who may be mute or have hearing difficulties.

Note that I said "widely". Widely means... wide, not the number of speakers. Sure, Chinese is the most spoken, but no one outside China will understand you. English, however, is learnt as a second language in almost all countries.
If you think about it, teaching sign language in schools would be an amazing way to break down language barriers because as far as I'm concerned it's the same in every country/language. Yes, I realize that normal languages play a huge role in our society but we could still use sign language as a way of communication without having to learn an actual language.

Debates/ Discussion?

EDIT: I've been told there are many variants of Sign Language but it would still be interesting to maybe develop a global sign language or even just a global language in general?

It should be an option for sure I find languages hard but something like that I might find easier
Original post by tangotangopapa2
I think sign language should be taught in school but not for the reason you mention. Let us face the fact that deaf children either end up not going to school or be subject to ignorance, loneliness and bully, not to mention unheard and misunderstood. (provided they don't go to school specifically for them) Teaching sign language would definitely make this world a better place for them.

There are many strengths to it, it's just a thought
Original post by jonathanemptage
It should be an option for sure I find languages hard but something like that I might find easier

I found it much easier than learning all the languages I'm learning right now (French, Gaelic, and Arabic). And it's a great way to learn a new way of communication and you don't have to worry about tonnes of tenses cos there's only three
Original post by DarthRoar
Note that I said "widely". Widely means... wide, not the number of speakers. Sure, Chinese is the most spoken, but no one outside China will understand you. English, however, is learnt as a second language in almost all countries.

Around 50 million people speak Chinese outside of the Chinese borders, but I do agree with what you're saying as around 1.4 billion people speak English as a language that is not native to them. But, you can't say that it's not worth learning sign language because about 470 million people on Earth are deaf/mute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending